Sparging bucket top

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

THEUKRAINIAN

Reaction score
I have designed this sparging plastic bucket top with the following specifications and would like to share it with the community. Please offer any comments to it's design so I may improve it. Be mindful, that I will be challenging comments as they see fit.

1x: 3/8 threaded tee
3x: 3/8 threaded adapters for 3/8 ID- 1/2 OD clear hose.
2x: 3/8 ID nylon tees
1x: 10' 3/8 ID clear hose

image-3580112366.jpg

image-1255085892.jpg

Not bad at all! I wonder if a guy couldn't do this with the lid of their Rubbermaid mash tun?

heckels said:
Not bad at all! I wonder if a guy couldn't do this with the lid of their Rubbermaid mash tun?

Of course! Just elongate the circle into a rectangle. More hose will be needed though

THEUKRAINIAN said:
Of course! Just elongate the circle into a rectangle. More hose will be needed though

Actually, my Rubbermaid 10 gal mash tub is round. I was just thinking it'd be handy if the sparge ring was built right into the lid. Would just need something to help from losing the little bit of heat through the connection fitting.

heckels said:
Actually, my Rubbermaid 10 gal mash tub is round. I was just thinking it'd be handy if the sparge ring was built right into the lid. Would just need something to help from losing the little bit of heat through the connection fitting.

My testing reports a heat loss of 25% from 170 degrees F at 10ft of hose. You may be able to get away with a shorter hose or the use of a garden hose. That has a bit more insulating properties than what I use. I have a short distance to travel, so the loss is acceptable.

Atl300zx said:
everything in the setup is rated for high water temps?

I used it with fluid at 170f without issues. Just yesterday I put down a pail of lager. As far as higher temps, it will need to be tested. Assumption is that it will hold up

I dont think its a question of the parts holding up to heat as much as its a concern that parts that are not meant for high temps can leach chemicals into your water/wort/beer.

Kahler said:
I dont think its a question of the parts holding up to heat as much as its a concern that parts that are not meant for high temps can leach chemicals into your water/wort/beer.

As stated above, the parts are listed. If you are questioning what I used, my reasoning is this: most of the fittings you can use in your own home, drink the same water at a much lower temperature out of your own faucets, and bathe in. Don't see an issue here. If this is a concern use copper pipe. I chose this way because I'm not going over 200F at any time. This is a perfect template to build off of.

You drink 170* water from rubber hoses? I'm not challenging you bro, just making sure you know what you are doing and what you are using. Do you think we would all spend the extra money on heat resistant silicone hoses if we could use the clear hose cheaper with NO ill effects.
And if you are losing 42* from your 170 as stated above, you need water that is above 200 to sparge right. Just saying.
This is a good idea, don't get me wrong. I just think being mindful of materials is key.
Good luck man.

Kahler said:
You drink 170* water from rubber hoses? I'm not challenging you bro, just making sure you know what you are doing and what you are using. Do you think we would all spend the extra money on heat resistant silicone hoses if we could use the clear hose cheaper with NO ill effects.
And if you are losing 42* from your 170 as stated above, you need water that is above 200 to sparge right. Just saying.
This is a good idea, don't get me wrong. I just think being mindful of materials is key.
Good luck man.

Materials is key, try it and post your results here. Lets see what others think.

Also, who cares what I used, as I stated before, use copper pipe or food grade materials if you are not comfortable with it. The materials used are used throughout the household and within homes faucets etc that use high temperature water.

This is my concept design, use it as a template and modify it how you see fit. Enjoy the information. Don't fight it.

I appreciate the information and the comments. Keep them coming!

Looks great to me except the hose concerns already mentioned.

Are you using gravity or a pump? Do you use this just for sparge or also mash recirculation?

Back