Do you reuse your muslin bags?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I never do. They are fabric so they could hold particles in fibers. I do reuse paint bags though.

I make my own from voile, but yes, I re-use them.
Rinse well and toss in with the laundry.
If you're worried about soap residue, boil before using.

I empty them in a blue plastic bag (double bagged),then dump in the trash outside to keep the dog out of the hops & grains. Hops can make them sick or dead. They get turned inside out in the act of emptying them. Then rinse under the faucet to get the rest of the gunk off as much as possible. Then into a saucepan half full of water or more,depending on how many/how big the sacks are. Boil lid on till the water turns color. Then into a small rubbermaid container covered with PBW. Tight lid & set aside to soak for a week. You can see the stained colors coming out of them. Then rinse,squeeze out,& hang to dry before storage. Clean as new again.

heck yeah...

1. rinse them clean, immediately after use (i mean rinse them really clean).
2. wash them out in soap and water just like any other material.
3. rinse them clean again... really, really, thoroughly.
4. pour boiling water over them in a pan and let them sit in it for a while.
5. hang them up to dry.

if you are using them for BIAB, it's going to be boiled anyway.

if you are using them for dry hopping, or something, boil them just before use.

I wouldn't risk reusing bags. As cheap as they are I just use a new bag. If your dead set on reusing the bags then I would do a hot water rinse, try to get it as clean as possible, followed by a soaking in StarSan, another rinse, then air dried.

If you are wanting to reuse a bag, Why not get some paint strainer bags. Not much of a cost difference, and easy to clean.

I do not reuse muslin bags, however I have a nylon grain bag that I use for steeping grains and usually hop additions that I do reuse. I pull it out at the end of the boil, rinse all the hop gunk out real well, dunk in sanitizer a few times, then usually toss right into the dryer to prevent a moldy/mildew smell.

Muslin bags I throw out w/ whatever is in them (I rarely use them, last time I used one was for my stout and I put my oats in it).

I reuse the "good" bags, but not the ultra-cheap cheesecloth types.

To reuse, turn them inside out and rinse well. Then put them in the washer with your laundry, or in the top rack of the dishwasher.

I reuse mine. They are the first things I clean at the end of brew day. It's a good idea to save at least a couple for emergencies. I accidentally tore one one time and had to use the one from my previous batch. As Yooper commented, I just turn the bags inside out and soap and rinse them out really well.

I've also done a couple of BIAB batches using the 5 gallon paint strainer bags. If the one gallon versions are made of the same material as the 5, then I'll like them better than the muslin bags from Northern Brewer as they will be more robust and easier to clean.

I use mostly nylon bags for my hops and miscellaneous additions. They are easy to clean. I don't see why you can't reuse them if it is worth your time to clean them. I wouldnt get paranoid about a stray particle left; they are used preboil and during boil so sterility isn't really much of an issue with them.

my issue with the bags I've used before is they tend to be falling apart and unraveling by the time I'm done with them. Not a great candidate for reuse at that point.

Back