Max candi syrup percentage in AG grist?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drchris83

Reaction score
So I have a few pounds of grain left from this year's brew season that I need to use up. Unfortunately, I can only buy in bulk, and with a relocation in the near future it doesn't seem smart to buy another year's supply of malt just yet. My problem is, I don't have enough malt to brew my usual six gallons when shooting for an abv of 4.5-ish and I don't want to get a smaller fermenter just for this batch. So I thought why not do as the Belgians do and fortify my grist with candi syrup to reach my target OG. I have not decided on a specific style yet (and I guess it won't meet any bjcp criteria anyway), but what would be a tolerable percentage of syrup? Depending on what calculator I use, I end up with an OG of about 1.021 with the grain I got, taking me in the vicinity of 2%abv.

I'd say th,at getting up to 25 (maybe even 30) peqrcent of your total fermentables from the syrup would be about the most I'd go for.

It seems like you want to use sugar in bigger beers, not smaller ones. You're going to get a beer light on malt flavor anyway, and the sugar should make it even thinner. Maybe decrease you batch size? Maybe mash super high to keep some body, throw in oats, etc. I don't know.

tennesseean_87 said:
It seems like you want to use sugar in bigger beers, not smaller ones. You're going to get a beer light on malt flavor anyway, and the sugar should make it even thinner. Maybe decrease you batch size? Maybe mash super high to keep some body, throw in oats, etc. I don't know.

That's what I thought of doing. I thought I'd mash pretty high and add sone oats to retain at least some body and add sugar to get some abv. Decreasing batch size could be problematic since I don't have a fitting fermenter and I'm concerned about head space.

Back