ruined brew day

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wormraper

Reaction score
GAHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!! amazon delivered my new ail pail today WITHOUT the lid. no lid means no primary. I called up amazon and they said they got a lot of complaints with that issue cropping up so it's taken off the site. they offered to send a new pail (with lid) once it comes back in stock next week. so now I gotta wait till they come back in stock to get my secondary fermentor :(... there goes my brew weekend

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002VFXWL6/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Last edited by a moderator:
Well if you brew and ale you can do an open top fermentation look up brewing tv on northern brewer and see their episode on jt

Go to Lowe's or Home Depot and buy a lid and grommet. Drill a hole in the lid, apply grommet, and insert airlock (or blow off tube).. Easy peasy!

Either way you choose (buying a lid that fits or open fermentation) you can still you use that pail.

Either way you choose (buying a lid that fits or open fermentation) you can still you use that pail.

I'd like to try open fermentation someday, but since I have evap cooling on my house I don't trust the swampy air blowing around. If I had refrigerated air, I'd probably try it.

Back on topic; Even if you can't get a grommet you can just get a cheap lid and leave it loosely placed on the bucket...

I'd like to try open fermentation someday, but since I have evap cooling on my house I don't trust the swampy air blowing around. If I had refrigerated air, I'd probably try it.

If I didn't live in Western Washington where every house is about 60% mold and 40% building materials, I would definitely give it a try as well.

+1 cheap lid loosely on bucket. OR anything rigid and non porous to cover the top. CO2 will escape with no problem.

+1 to Stauffbier! His advice is always sound.

I once used the lid off my round cooler to cover a bucket. It was fine, sat that way for 4 weeks - no problem. Airtight lids are overated in my humble opinion.

Thanks Dan! :mug:

Once I used a round pizza baking tray! It worked like a champ!

Ha ha.. :D

Yeah, I've pretty much quit worrying about airtight lids. Wild yeast and bugs fall from the air and land where they land but I don't believe they can crawl around corners.

Maybe I'm a bit naive but as long as the brew vessel and everything that touched the wort post boil is sanitised I just don't worry about it.

Having said that, might as well just put a challenge out there to the things that want to eat my wort other than some Saccharomyces cerevisiae. I'll let the guardians of my wort fight off the other bugs anyday - with confidence!

My old roommate had a novel (read: ghetto) approach to his homemade wine. He would take a garbage bag (new, obviously, but not sanitized) and use electrical tape to seal the end of the bag around the top of the bucket (which was also a free acquisition). If he got lucky and had a good seal, the bag would stand upon its own. He said one time he drew a smiley face on it, and one night when he came home ****faced he cursed the poor guy "You did this to me!"

The bag is not recommended, but it does work. I'll admit I even did it once in my early brewing days without any ill effects when I made a couple batches with said-roommate (and I copied his idea for the smiley face).

BeerBag1.jpg

BeerBag2.jpg

BeerBag3.jpg

lol nice ideas guys. I called amazon and they refunded me and let me keep the pail. went and used the money to pick up one at my LHBS (just $16 instead of $10). well, I got a free pail out of it. Hopefully I can find something at HD/Lowes/WM in terms of lids. it's a little wider than my normal 6.5 gallon pails so hopefully I can find a lid (it's just a HAIR wider than my 6.5 gallon ale pails since it's a 6.87 gallon bucket). If I can find a lid I can have a THIRD fermenter :D

Back