Manual control for Heating element

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HopsMan

Reaction score
Hey guys, I am in the process of switching to a 5500 watt element in my brew kettle. I was hoping I could just let it run full bore and not have to orry about boilovers, but I'm beginning to see that might not be the case. What I'm wondering about is if there is a way to manually control the percentage of power to the element with a set up that just uses a nob or something similar to dial up or down as you need. I'm hoping it would be relatively cheap as well.

I'll eventually be going to a control panel, but for now, I just need to be able to control a boil. Thanks!

Check out the link in my signature line for my build. I built one for ~$15 and a couple hours with a soldering iron. You'll also need a SSR which is about another $15. You can mount them in/on a tool box or other enclosure for little cost. You can also buy one for about the same price but you'll need to de-solder one capacitor and solder in a new one. Knowing what I know now, that is how I would go.

Depending on your kettle and batch size, rather than controlling a 5500w element, perhaps a 4000w or 3500w element at full bore will give you a satifactory boil. I boil 9-10 gallons w/ 4000w "full bore" in a 15 gallon pot without issue. While I agree a controller is awesome...just not mandatory IME and IMO.

I'll give a boil a try, and see what happens.

pvtschulz, what pwm would you have bought if you could do it again?

Back