Ball lock vs pinlock

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elbastardo

Reaction score
Im in the process of rounding up the parts to keg. And im getting ready to buy some corneys. (Anybody have any in western WA for sale?)

Is one better than the other?

Thanks;)

Just saw some in Olympia for sale on craigslist yesterday, something like $25 each if you buy 4 of them.

Funny I left him a message just before I posted this:D I havent heard back yet. But if I understand things correctly the coke style (pinlock) does not have the relief valve??? But the pics in his ad have relief valves.

Thanks, Im also in Chehalis:mug: (Doty)

If its this guy he has both listed on CL. This is about the best deal I've seen lately.

Pin vs Ball...well ball lock are narrower and have a manual relief valve with an air line style coupler, pin lock are shorter and fatter, have a twist lock coupler and a burst valve. So based on those items and my space i went ball locks. I like the manual relief valve and my kegerator is an old upright hotpoint fridge so space is a premium. Tall narrow kegs with a coupler that can be at any angle worked better for me. I can fit 4 ball locks plus the CO2 bottle. YMMV. Happy brewing.

:mug:

I would love to find any kegs for $25 in my area. I suggest jumping on that deal.

There are some minor differences as have been pointed out already. But overall I do not think one is better then the other. Whatever you can find a good deal on IMO.

You can also make friends with someone that works at Coke or Pepsi. I got 3 pin-locks from Coca-Cola for free. They were in great condition and nothing needed to be replaced other than the O-rings. If all else fails, you can go up to the delivery driver as he is dropping a shipment off at the grocery store and see if he'd let some of the tanks disappear. He might be willing to make a trade.

The local guy on craigs has both.. the pin locks are 4 - $100 and the ball locks are $40 apiece I have bought 10 ball locks from him in the last few months they are all in decent condition and I have only gotten 1 that smelled like the dreaded Dr Pepper... JJ

I had ones that smelled like root beer, I gave them a good PBW soak and I cannot detect the smell any longer.

Back