Beer Tools Pro

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

McKBrew

Reaction score
I just got this one a couple of weeks back. Since I have no other brewing software experience I can't compare it to anything, but I like it. The one thing it lacks is an inventory (stock on hand) section.

No inventory management? Then it's useless to me. With all the grains and hops and adjuncts I have, there'd be no way for me to know what I have vs. what I need to brew up a certain batch. Ugh. Crap. Why would you leave out such a necessary feature?

Brewing Clamper said:
Bummer, I thought I'd heard someone else say that it did have it... Do you know if it calculates late extract additions?

I doesn't look like it. I'm not familiar with late extract adds, so I'm not sure if you can tweak the program to make it work.

Evan! said:
No inventory management? Then it's useless to me. With all the grains and hops and adjuncts I have, there'd be no way for me to know what I have vs. what I need to brew up a certain batch. Ugh. Crap. Why would you leave out such a necessary feature?

I emailed the people at BTP and this is what I got from them:

I will try to answer some of your questions. BTP does not track
inventory in the current version, but inventory is under development
right now for the version 1.1 release. It calculates the cost of the
batch, and the quantity of bottles required; but it does not go the
extra step of displaying the cost per bottle. This would be easy
enough to add though.

Thanks,
Jeff

So maybe we want to wait for 1.1 to come out.

Yeah, I'm kinda pissed at myself for jumping on purchasing BTP. I had used Beersmith for the trial period and liked it just fine but for some reason, I went with BTP sight unseen. I think I was just blinded by the fact that they're actively developing. Then again, I heard a new version of beersmith is coming out soon too. Beersmith does have inventory and batch sparging is already a preset whereas BTP requires a physics degree to setup.

Bobby_M said:
Yeah, I'm kinda pissed at myself for jumping on purchasing BTP. I had used Beersmith for the trial period and liked it just fine but for some reason, I went with BTP sight unseen. I think I was just blinded by the fact that they're actively developing. Then again, I heard a new version of beersmith is coming out soon too. Beersmith does have inventory and batch sparging is already a preset whereas BTP requires a physics degree to setup.

Well if it makes you feel any better, the guy from BTP emailed me again, saying that they're looking into what would be needed for late extract additions. He also said that if all goes as planned verison 1.1 will release this summer and would be a free update to current owners. So it looks like you'll have inventory tracking & batch pricing available... dunno what the deal is with batch sparging, you might want to shoot them an email.

EDIT: I also asked Jeff from BTP to join us here if he could to help answer some of our questions... I'll let you know what he says.

You can batch sparge with BTP. You can set up any kind of schedule you want. There is a bit of a learning curve, but once you get it - it's pretty easy.

Brewing Clamper said:
EDIT: I also asked Jeff from BTP to join us here if he could to help answer some of our questions... I'll let you know what he says.

They have already been here. Lathe was answering questions for a while, he still checks in occasionally, I saw him here the other night.

I've been pretty happy with BTP. The main issue that I have is that there is no "Brew Session" option. You just have to save your recipe under a different name when you brew it and update your notes.

I like all the ingredients and stuff being right in there, no messing around and downloading anything.

I used BTP for my first two AG brews and setup the batch sparge, other than my own dum a** issues the software worked great. The amount of water to add for a step mash was right on.

There also is no easy way to "browse" your recipes like Beersmith.

Emailed today:

BeerTools Pro Development
Progress Update
May 4, 2007 - Since BeerTools Pro was released October 24, 2006, there have been 25 updates released with added features and improvements. Version 1.0.26 is the current release, and is considered the most stable and feature packed version to date.

The stability of version 1.0.26 allows developers to focus attention on the next upgrade of BeerTools Pro; version 1.1.

Version 1.1
Some of the most requested features for BeerTools Pro include inventory tracking, session recording, and recipe management. These features and many others are being scheduled for release in the next generation of BTP. The interface has been redesigned to allow room for these new elements, while maintaining the simplicity and elegance of the layout.

User friendliness, and intuitiveness has been the objective behind the design of the refined interface. Expect a greatly simplified, yet more powerful user experience.

Upgrade Path
All current BeerTools Pro customers will be allowed to upgrade to version 1.1 free of charge. Any who purchase BTP between now and the release of 1.1 will also be eligible for the free upgrade.
Special Promotion
BeerTools Pro can be purchased in the BeerTools.com Store. To receive a 10% discount use promo code PRGUPDM7.

I've been reading everything I can about setting up a batch sparge and I'm almost there. I guess I'm just so used to beersmith's totally intuative batch setup. I mean, there are a ton of presets there and you'd think BTP would have a batch sparge preset.

Can someone send me a BTP file that has a batch sparge setup.

I use a cooler so let's say i have a 10 lb grain bill at 1.25 qt/lb mash. Let's keep it simple with no mash out and a single sparge after first runnings. I'll need a total of 6.5 gallons collected.

Do I adjust everything so I get a zero or positive residual? It seems I get negative numbers here.

Bobby_M said:
I've been reading everything I can about setting up a batch sparge and I'm almost there. I guess I'm just so used to beersmith's totally intuative batch setup. I mean, there are a ton of presets there and you'd think BTP would have a batch sparge preset.

Can someone send me a BTP file that has a batch sparge setup.

I use a cooler so let's say i have a 10 lb grain bill at 1.25 qt/lb mash. Let's keep it simple with no mash out and a single sparge after first runnings. I'll need a total of 6.5 gallons collected.

Do I adjust everything so I get a zero or positive residual? It seems I get negative numbers here.

Bobby, if you go on the BTP forum there is a sample batch sparge recipe file. I don't remember exactly where it is but it is there, I downloaded it. Also, you've seen the BTP wiki, right?

I bought BTP a short while ago and I really enjoy it. They have a lot of great features and preloaded info that Promash doesn't have. Always pisses me off when I'm trying to build a recipe and there's a grain or extract that isn't in the list. BTP has a pretty impressive ingredients list. Only thing that is kind of a bummer at the moment is the inventory deal. Not a huge deal to me as I don't stock a ton of excess grains and hops, but still will be nice when they do build that in later this year. I don't find it any harder to use than any other brewing software either. For those looking at software I would recommend it. :mug:

olllllo said:
Emailed today:

Thanks for posting that. I decided the other day to use that promo code and make the jump on BTP.

Overall I am digging the program and haven't found the transition from my demo of ProMash to BTP all that difficult (with the exception of working out the kinks in the batch sparge entry). Brewed my first batch with it this weekend and I will be fully calibrating my equipment and tweaking the specifics with the next batch.

Brewer3401 said:
Running trial on ProMash. Never looked at BTP.

What's wrong with ProMash compared to BTP ???

If you search online (especially here and in the northern brewer & brewboard forums) you will find some pretty decent rundowns of the differences.

Back