85% efficiency with new mash stirrer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice call on the ice cream motor....I heard that distinct making ice cream noise that only those motors make. Good idea

Nice job! Ever since seeing The Pol put one of these in an igloo I've always thought about incorporating one in my system. This might push me over the edge :)

The ice cream maker motor works perfect and is just the right speed. The shaft is made from a sanke keg stem. The paddles are plastic spatulas. I'll post some pictures of it taken appart a little later. I've brewed two batches in this setup and got 85% efficiency each time. Before I got around 70%.

Post back and let us know what the beer tastes like. I've heard several times that as efficiency rises too far, so does tannin extraction.

Post back and let us know what the beer tastes like. I've heard several times that as efficiency rises too far, so does tannin extraction.

There's not a direct correlation, as you can get high efficiency without extracting tannins, but yes, that certainly can be a big side-effect of the race for higher and higher efficiency if not done properly

It doesn't surprise me that constant mash stirring improved your efficiency. I stir by hand during direct fire ramps to rests, with fly sparge, my system has been getting 82-5%. I believe there is more to be gained by stirring than adjusting your grain crush. Personally, ice cream maker motors are too loud for kitchen use, and would try to work out a fractional hp gear motor in the future. Keep us posted.

That is very nice looking! I was thinking about using an ice cream maker for my BIAB setup, but I think it'll end up catching the bag.

One problem I had when I tried out my new home-made mash paddle was, by stirring my mash after the 90 minutes of mashing, I created a big problem. The grain bed itself acts as a filter to trap this sticky fine grained goo that clogged my false bottom (actually a mesh braid).

How do you keep a constant stir without clogging your system up when it's ready to be sparged?

If you keep your ph in check you don't need to worry about tannins. Commercial brewerys use stirrers all the time. I will keep you guys posted as I continue to use this stirrer.

One problem I had when I tried out my new home-made mash paddle was, by stirring my mash after the 90 minutes of mashing, I created a big problem. The grain bed itself acts as a filter to trap this sticky fine grained goo that clogged my false bottom (actually a mesh braid).

How do you keep a constant stir without clogging your system up when it's ready to be sparged?

I let the mash sit for about ten minutes after stirring and I use a manifold not a false bottom. Flow has not been a problem so far.

Latest posts

Back