Fermenter heater...yes or no?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tophe

Reaction score
Im thinking about buying one of those things to put around your fermenter to keep the wert warm. It says it keeps it at 75-80 degrees.

My house isnt well insulated so i like to keep it at 68 when im there and like 65 when im not there to save me some money.

My question is , Is 75-80 degrees a good temp for the yeast? Almost seems kind of warm to me but the thing is made for brewing beer so it cant be bad...can it?

Doesn't sound like you need one.

I keep my house at 68 when home, and 65 when I'm out or sleeping. I've never had a probem with yeast. If you ferment in the basement, the floor is probably much colder than the air which could cool your carboy a little too much. To avoid this, just put the carboy on a block of wood or something to get it off of the cold floor.

I've never had a need for one. If you ferment indoors, and the inside of your house is comfortable, the yeast will be comfy too, in a pretty wide temperature range.

But if you want one, heck, go for it. Different brewers like to geek out on different aspects of the process. If it makes it more fun for you, then go for it.

Alright, thanks for the input....I dont think Im going to buy one, but maybe.....I didnt mention that I was thinking about moving my brewing to the basement and I dont think it'll be a problem in the summer, but probably 65 or so down there through the winter.

Tophe96 said:
Alright, thanks for the input....I dont think Im going to buy one, but maybe.....I didnt mention that I was thinking about moving my brewing to the basement and I dont think it'll be a problem in the summer, but probably 65 or so down there through the winter.
I don't have one and don't plan on getting one. My basement brewing room is <60> degrees depending on the season. I have never worried about yeast, I just give an extra week in the winter. Save your Belgian brews for the summer and don't worry about any of the others.

My house is 62F and the wort during krausen is probably closer to 68F. It seems to keep itself warm enough, but during the cold snap we had back in early January I put my lizard heater on the size for some additional heat.

Latest posts

Back