New Shed brewing ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

509inc

Reaction score
I just got a 24' x 14' shed. It has two levels and a window on each side and 2 big barn style doors on the front. Its a $15k building and I got for the price of having it moved.

I plan to brew in the shed instead of on the front porch. Is it a bad idea to want to brew in the shed using Propane with the doors open?

I got flack all the time for brewing my rims inside my one bed apartment (probably the same size of your shed). I had three propane burners going with no problem with a window open. To be safe, keep the doors open and spend the 30 dollars on a carbon monoxide detector. The highest reading I ever got was 80ppm with the windows closed (not recommended). With the windows open, I got a zero reading all day. OSHA (nazis) recommends no more than 30-50 ppm for a 40 hour work week, with a ceiling of 200 ppm (danger zone). More info here

Thanks for the info. I think I'll give it try. Oklahoma is so windy getting a draft thru the building should be no problem.

If it does kill me, I'll be sure to leave my brewing gear to HBT.

Thanks for the info. I think I'll give it try. Oklahoma is so windy getting a draft thru the building should be no problem.

If it does kill me, I'll be sure to leave my brewing gear to HBT.

Careful... Don't give the HBT vultures any ideas. They'll be sneaking up and wrapping your shed in plastic while you're brewing, just to collect your loot :D

I think you should be fine. I've converted to electric now, but have had probably 6 or 8 burners going (with the door open). I agree with the idea of having a carbon monoxide detector just for peace of mind.

I would give you crap for having 3 propane burners in your apt too. That is just reckless. What happens if you accidentally tip one? That is a pretty serious fire hazard. If I knew anyone in my building doing that I would report them.

Sorry but that is just plain dumb.

I'm currently using 1 burner might start using 2 but don't really have a need just yet.

I would give you crap for having 3 propane burners in your apt too. That is just reckless. What happens if you accidentally tip one? That is a pretty serious fire hazard. If I knew anyone in my building doing that I would report them.

Sorry but that is just plain dumb.

Get over yourself!

More people start fire in apartments by keeping their crap too close to heaters. Or smoking. Or just stupid human tricks on stovetop.

Yes. I do realize that there are LAWS against having an open flame in or around an apartment complex but guess what, Mcdonald also has to warn that there coffee is HOT.

Not everyone is a common idiot.

Furthermore, speaking of fire hazard, grass fires cause more property loss per annum than do house fires. Guess how THOSE get started!

The rims system has a fixed chassis. Tipping wont happen, but without a doubt (as with most things) it is still a hazard, and should be treated as such.

get over yourself!

More people start fire in apartments by keeping their crap too close to heaters. Or smoking. Or just stupid human tricks on stovetop.

Yes. I do realize that there are laws against having an open flame in or around an apartment complex but guess what, mcdonald also has to warn that there coffee is hot.

Not everyone is a common idiot.

Furthermore, speaking of fire hazard, grass fires cause more property loss per annum than do house fires. Guess how those get started!

+1

Back