Cooper kit+Crosby IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dfhussey

Reaction score
All,
I didn't see this in a 20 minute scan of the FAQ's, pardon me if I'm posting a redundant question.

The Wife bought me a Cooper's kit and a Crosby IPA. The Cooper's metric, and the Crosby is US Customary, but I have all of that figured out (24-25 740 mL bottles per 5 gallons) except...

Crosby has 5 ounces of priming sugar, and the Cooper's kit doesn't have a bottling bucket. Cooper's gives the sugar tablets to put in the bottle before, but the weights don't work out (4 grams of sugar per pellet per 740 mL bottle, where it needs 5.5 g/bottle).

Is it okay to mix down the 5 ounces of sugar with 200 mL of hot water, add water to make it 250 mL, and then add 10 mL of sugar water to each bottle as I go? Any ways I can screw this up?

Also, I'm not sure if it's fermenting right, I added the yeast a little too soon (the temperature was 33 o Celsius, or about 92 oF), and it cooled down to 22 oC. However, I will be patient re 90% of the advice on this board, and I will not send it to anyone.

Thanks for any comments.

It will take a good 2 weeks for the beer to be ready to bottle so you might consider getting a bottling bucket in the meantime. 5 oz. of priming sugar should be plenty for 5 gallons of beer. Do you have a bottling wand?

92 degrees is a bit high but some of the yeast should survive. What type was it and was it a 6 gram packet?

Thanks for the reply.

All I have is the Cooper's kit, it comes with a wand that attaches to the fermenter. I suppose I could make the wife feel better by saying how cool it is to have the Cooper fermenter so that I can check the gravity, but a bottling bucket will help me keep the hops out of the beer (silly me, I forgot to strain it).

It was Munton's Dry Yeast, six grams. Not sure if it was the Premium Gold variety or not.

Thanks for the two week tip, the instructions say one week, but almost everyone else on this board says two.

I checked the fermenter this morning, it looks like there is bubbling on the surface of the wort, but every time I check the trap it's under a vacuum (I'm hoping because it just blew some CO2).

Thanks again,
Dennis

Not sure what happened to my first reply.

Thanks for the comments.

I only have the Coopers kit, it has a wand that attaches to the fermenter. I'll explain to the Wife that the kit is great, it allows me to check the gravity, but I need the bottler to get the hops out (because I forgot to strain it).

I checked the fermenter this morning, there appears to be some bubbling in there, although the trap is under vacuum (I'm guessing because it burped already).

It was Munton's yeast, six gram pack. Not sure if it was the gold variety.

Thanks for your feedback.
--Dennis

Bottling buckets are handy. You can boil the priming sugar in a little water and add it to the bucket and rack your finished beer on top and it will mix up pretty well.

If you have a dishwasher you can drain your sanitized bottles on the top rack and fill them on the door. When done the drippings go right back in the dishwasher. Good Luck

Next time use 2 packs of yeast. 12 grams will work better than 6. I would use Safale brand yeast anyway, they have a good track record.

92* for coopers is a tad high but it should be ok. Make sure the lid is down all the way on the fermenter. Yes PLEASE wait 2 weeks before you bottle, I like the hydrometer test myself 1) after 2 weeks check hydro 2) wait 3 days check again 3) if no change, bottle.
priming sugar in my store is 1 oz per gallon depending on the level of carbonation they want. English beers get less Belgian style get more.
you'll want a bottling bucket. If the kit you bought came w/ only 1 bucket and it has a spigot on it you might want to just get a undrilled fermenter bucket w/ a lid. I am sure your LHBS has them.

Cheers
Jay

Bottling buckets are handy. You can boil the priming sugar in a little water and add it to the bucket and rack your finished beer on top and it will mix up pretty well.

If you have a dishwasher you can drain your sanitized bottles on the top rack and fill them on the door. When done the drippings go right back in the dishwasher. Good Luck

Next time use 2 packs of yeast. 12 grams will work better than 6. I would use Safale brand yeast anyway, they have a good track record.
Thanks for the great tips Blender and Jay. Is it too late to add six more grams of yeast? Or should I just run with it and see how it goes? I don't see active bubbling on the surface anymore.

Back