What affect does leaving hops in primary have?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aeonderdonk

Reaction score
After several batches of straining hop pellet mush when pouring wort into primary I decided to just pour the whole pot in. Straining it is a hassel since the hop mush blocks the strainer and I have to empty it 5+ times after waiting for it to slowwwly drain through.

What affect will leaving my hops in the primary do? Hoppier? Nothing?

I don't think it makes much difference. I don't think you get added hoppiness - I think the hoppiness is all gone into the beer by then - but I could be very wrong on that.

One issue I did have when I did something similar is that my transfer to secondary seemed to be a lot less than normal - maybe more liquid absorbed into the hop debris, couldn't siphon as much as normal. But it could be that I'm new to AG and I'm basically all over the place with measurements, probably just didn't have enough liquid to start with.

I don't filter or use a hops bag, and I've never noticed any difference in flavor as a result. Do be careful while racking though!

That might make sense that it would hold some of the liquid behind when racking.

Damn, hope I didn't just lose out on a couple of beers :confused:

I have not noticed anything but more trouble racking. The hops easily unsettle when trying to get the last little bit at the bottom so I feel you lose more beer. I plan to now always use the whirlpool/siphon technique I found illustrated on here.

You have to pull them out at some point, so leaving them is just procrastinating. Whenver you remove the hops, they take some wort with them.

I filter thru a braid and dump it out of the BK, with the breaks.

Latest posts

Back