Who's brewed Jamil's Dry Stout??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mangine77

Reaction score
I'm talking the recipe from Brewing Classic Styles. I'm convinced every beer in that book is awesome, but I'm wondering if this dry stout is close to a Guinness. I really want to make something as close to Guinness as possible.

Has anyone brewed this recipe??

It's a run of the mill dry stout using the classic percentages. It's almost identical to the one in my recipe dropdown in fact. :D If you want that bit of Guinness twang you'll need to add some soured wort to it - or I've heard you can let a can of Guinness go sour and use that.

If you like the sour note of Guinness, this will get you there:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f68/sour-mash-dry-stout-81589/

jds's recipe is awesome.

I appreciate the recipe and I will try this one at some point. It sounds really good. But the description on the recipe you posted says that it tastes quite a bit different than a Guinness.

I'm trying to brew something as close as possbile to a Guinness. I agree I'm going to have to add a sour agent.

So have others used the "old guinness" method for the sour additive??

I've heard some adding a touch of acid malt to their dry stout to get a bit of that "tang."

*shrug*

70/20/10 works just fine for me.

I've seen the recipe, but I wouldn't brew the extract version. It contains 2# flaked barley, with no enzymes to convert it. The PM and AG versions should have no problems.

-a.

The recipe is delicious, but it's only your regular run of the mill dry stout. Which happens to be delicious.

+1 on ajf's suggestion to use the PM or AG version, that's important.

While the ingredients for the recipe look fine as presented above, everyone seems to be forgetting about the yeast - which will make or break any dry stout.

If you want a DRY Guinnesslike stout - and why the heck not, it's superb - then if you insist on using the Irish ale yeast, pitch lots of it to get proper attenuation. Nothing worse than a sweetish "almost-dry" stout IMHO.

I also found that the Wyeast 1028 worked out well too, fairly clean but good attenuation so I could get away with a small starter - better attenuation than the Irish Ale Wyeast 1084. I also hear that the american ale yeast 1056 works well - for some, others don't like it so much.

YMMV.

I brewed Jamil's Dry Stout but I did a few things wrong. I FWH'd the 60 min addition and I didn't grind up the roasted barley to a powder (I just threw it in with the rest of the grains).

My version was not as bitter or acrid as a dry stout normally is, but it is absolutely great. It has a ton of flavor coming from the roasted barley, and a moderate amount of noble hop flavor. It is the most easy-drinking beer with flavor I've ever brewed. I'd recommend the recipe to others.

I'd suggest to everyone attempting this or other dry stout recipes to try to adjust your water to a Dublin profile. The high carbonates help to balance the acrid sharpness from the roasted barley and result in that smooth clean flavor the style is famous for.

...If you want a DRY Guinnesslike stout - and why the heck not, it's superb - then if you insist on using the Irish ale yeast, pitch lots of it to get proper attenuation. Nothing worse than a sweetish "almost-dry" stout IMHO...
+1 I've found that irish ale yeast makes just about the worst dry stout. Which is to say a not-dry, dry stout. :D My best dry stouts have been made with Nottingham dry yeast. The WhiteLabs Dry English Ale makes a really good choice as well, not sure what a good Wyeast strain would be, don't use them.

I use Safale S-05, overpitched a little and kept the fermentation temperature relatively cool (66 F). This resulted is a clean ester profile and a well-attenuated beer.

This recipe says to mash at 120 for 15 minutes and then raise the temperature to 150 for 60 minutes.

Will there be a dramatic difference if I just mashed at 150 for 60 minutes??

The reason I ask is because I don't know how much water to use initially and how much to add to raise the temperature. I wanted to just keep it simple but if this step is crucial in brewing a dry stout, I will figure it out.

Thanks!

This recipe says to mash at 120 for 15 minutes and then raise the temperature to 150 for 60 minutes.

Will there be a dramatic difference if I just mashed at 150 for 60 minutes??

The reason I ask is because I don't know how much water to use initially and how much to add to raise the temperature. I wanted to just keep it simple but if this step is crucial in brewing a dry stout, I will figure it out.

Thanks!

If you listen to Jamil's shows he states a few times that he usually only does a single infusion anyway. With today's highly modified malts you can get away with the single infusion. My 70/20/10 dry stout is mashed at 150*F and it turns out great.

Ok, one more question. Jamil says to crush the roasted barely down to dust.

Can I just throw this in the mash or should I steep it. I don't normally steep when it says to. I tend to just mash everything. You can't really steep dust anyway right?? That will make it's way through the grain bag correct?

Would you just mash everything in this recipe??

Back