What to do with vines in the winter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nipsy3

Reaction score
I'm only in my first year of growing hops and I'm not sure what happens at this point. Am I to cut my vines down during the winter and allow new ones to grow? Or will the existing vines continue to grow once it warms up?

Thanks.

Cut all the vines down to within 4" or so of the ground. Clear any leaves, vines, hops from around the plant itself. Some people in colder climes will cover the plants with mulch or soil for the winter...but some just leave the ground bare. Either way, you'll have some nice little shoots coming up in a few months!

Here's some good info on hop gardening: http://brewery.org/library/HopGrow.html
At the end of the growing season when the leaves have fallen or turned brown, cut the vines at the surface of the soil and if possible remove the twine. After cutting back the vines a layer of three or four inches of mulch and composted manure can be put over the exposed vines for insulation and nutrition during the winter.

Like the quote said, I cut mine down (strings and all) and threw some composted manure and mulch over them. I didn't get as much mulch as I wanted, but they're relatively well-insulated all the same. The 30" of snow we've gotten so far this winter hasn't hurt either.

Last year I planted my rhizomes in early April during a warm spell and they did just fine. Apparently they aren't too sensitive to cold. It's probably too late to do anything but watch the flakes fall, so RDWHAHB. They'll be fine come spring.

You can even leave about two feet of the vine(the brown part at the base)bury it (before the freeze-depending on your location) . I just wrapped them around the circumference of my planter. You'll find that they(the newly planted vines) will also sprout roots and shoots , ie:new rhizomes . It worked for me.... now many more plantables..... just my 2c. Shane

Back