Hi Everyone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

reim0027

Reaction score
I just wanted to introduce myself and say hi to everybody. :mug:

I have never brewed beer before, and it will be some time before I start (hopefully this winter). I figure this is a good place to start learning the information, so when I start brewing, I can do a good job.

Well I am honored to be the first to welcome you!

Soak up as much as you can, but for me, you can only read so much before you just have to get your hands dirty, make some mistakes and try to never make them again. :)

Welcome, Travis

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone! :D

I will check out those links/threads (thanks, deathweed). There is so much information and science to brewing beer, it is a bit overwhelming. Ironically, I already had the link "How to Brew Beer". Good to know I am studying the right information.

AnotherFinch: I am from Minnesota. When I was in college, I hated beer. It wasn't until about 18 months ago, that I started to develop a taste for beer. I am very picky about my beer, so brewing my own seems like a logical step.

Well, I am back. Nothing like a 8 month hiatus. I have brewed 3 batches already. I believe the style is called extract brewing. I have barley and hops to steep and malt extract to add to the wort. Eventually, I would like to get into all grain brewing and kegging, but that is in the future.

I am using recipe kits from Midwest Supplies. Eventually, I want to design my own recipes, but these kits are a great start.

I have made:
1. Nut Brown Ale
2. ESB
3. Cream Stout (currently drinking that batch).

I am set up with a primary bucket fermentor, glass carboy as a secondary fermentor, and 16oz Flip-Top glass bottles (no capping required). It works very well.

Welcome (back) :)
I get a lot of my stuff from Midwest also.
One thing you can do, once you feel the need to "change", is to use one of their recipes and tweak a thing or 2 to see how it changes the finished product.

Good advice. That is what I will do. That way, I can see (taste) how the changes affect the final product.

Back