Fishing!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yooper

Ale's What Cures You!
Staff member
Admin
Mod
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
It's a beautiful day in the Northwoods- perfect for fishing. The bugs are pretty bad, so I wore a bug jacket until we got out on the lake. But the fishing was great! I love blue gills.

DSCN1343.jpg

What great fun! For those few who are coming for a fish fry soon, dinner is almost collected. :D

The fishing was great. I didn't keep any bass, as we were just fishing for blue gills but the bass were jumping out of the water, apparently at dragonflies. The bass looked like small dolphins, all over the lake, leaping out of the water about 2 feet into the air. I've never seen anything like it, and it was so amazing.
There was only one loon on the lake today, and you can see it in this photo (very tiny):
DSCN1351.jpg

The clearing on the left is where my truck is, and where my friend has a rustic cabin. He owns about 1000 acres, which includes this lake, so there is no public access and of course no people in this area. He comes for two weeks out of the year, and he'll be coming in a week or two. Otherwise, it's just us and the loon.

Awesome. At the moment it is too hot around here to go. But heading to Tahoe next weekend so maybe I'll hit the Truckee.

That looks like a great fishing lake. I pulled a lot of blue gills, sunfish, perch, and bass out of MI lakes as a kid. A LOT of them. I miss that a lot.

That's a pretty meaty gill there.

Went fishing this weekend and brought home several 24" trout. Had a good morning on the intracoastal, in the shallows behind Caladesi Island. Ate them off the grill for lunch.

That looks like a great fishing lake. I pulled a lot of blue gills, sunfish, perch, and bass out of MI lakes as a kid. A LOT of them. I miss that a lot.

That's a pretty meaty gill there.

Went fishing this weekend and brought home several 24" trout. Had a good morning on the intracoastal, in the shallows behind Caladesi Island. Ate them off the grill for lunch.

In the intracoastal, do you get mostly speckled trout? I've never fished in that area at all, and wondered about that.

We eat fish pretty often, of various types. While it's always fun getting bigger fish like northern pike, my first love has always been panfish. I think the best meals are fried bluegills with the fixin's. :rockin:

In the intracoastal, do you get mostly speckled trout? I've never fished in that area at all, and wondered about that.

We eat fish pretty often, of various types. While it's always fun getting bigger fish like northern pike, my first love has always been panfish. I think the best meals are fried bluegills with the fixin's. :rockin:

Nothing touches panfish. Battered, fried in butter, salted. And yes, the trout are speckled.

I used to go for pike, but it took live bait (minnows) and that was a pain. We got worms for free in the huge leaf piles that the city made near the river.

Yooper said:
It's a beautiful day in the Northwoods- perfect for fishing. The bugs are pretty bad, so I wore a bug jacket until we got out on the lake. But the fishing was great! I love blue gills.

What great fun! For those few who are coming for a fish fry soon, dinner is almost collected. :D

WOW that is a monster and gorgeous! I'm from Michigan too but have lived in Atlanta since 86 and down here they're called Bream, but just as great either way. I made the mistake of picking up a fly rod in 2000 and that was all it took. The Breamsters are a BLAST on a 3 weight fly rod! Pound for pound they have to be the hardest fighting freshwater fish.

Thanks for sharing Yooper Very nice. Wheres your beer?

It was about 10 AM this morning when I got the first big bluegill.

so, my beer is at my feet, as I had to put it down to pose for the picture! :D
It was my house IPA, sort of a take off from the DFH 60 minute clone I posted about 6 years ago. I still do the amarillo/simcoe combo all the time. I love it.

I love fishing! It's my second love next to brewing... haven't done it in wayyy too long, but hoping to get out to a nice trout stream on saturday. Looking forward to camping in 2 weeks and taking out my fishing kayak. I always have 4-5 rods in my car at all times with my waders, tackle backpack, vest and net.

Nice looking bluegill there Yooper. Here's yesterday's catch from Reelfoot lake in Tennessee...

photo_zpsf2ed5a7c.jpg

We got a late start so last nights soak should provide much better results. Going to try and track down some crappie, bluegill (they have monsters here) and maybe some bass today as well now that we have plenty of cat fillets to fry up.

:mug:

A big willow-leaf spinner bait or spoon will drive them crazy. ;)

I've had some good luck with 5 of diamonds & daredevil spoons, sometimes I'll put a dead pike minnow (live bait is illegal here) or some cut bait on 'em too.

I love catfishing, but there are no catfish in western Montana. I have to drive about 170 miles to find catfish. Good thing trout, pike, musky & walleye are so tasty!
Regards, GF.

WOW that is a monster and gorgeous! I'm from Michigan too but have lived in Atlanta since 86 and down here they're called Bream, but just as great either way. I made the mistake of picking up a fly rod in 2000 and that was all it took. The Breamsters are a BLAST on a 3 weight fly rod! Pound for pound they have to be the hardest fighting freshwater fish.

I take my #4 out on the lake with Muddler Minnows & Wooly leaches w/ a rabbit zonker tail and burn the crappie during bedding season but Wooly leaches really do the trick if you can find them suspended.

I've had some good luck with 5 of diamonds & daredevil spoons, sometimes I'll put a dead pike minnow (live bait is illegal here) or some cut bait on 'em too.

I love catfishing, but there are no catfish in western Montana. I have to drive about 170 miles to find catfish. Good thing trout, pike, musky & walleye are so tasty!
Regards, GF.

We don't have any catfish around here either. I guess we just have to be content with perch, bluegill, walleye, bass, trout, crappies, and bass. :D

Fishing and beer....a classic combination.

I do most of my fishing in salt water. A few pics attached.

"Hogfish" (the reddish fish in one of the pics) is one of the most delicious fish on the planet...of course the King Mac and Grouper shown in the other pics ain't bad either!

King Mack Belize.jpg

Guess who's coming to Dinner 2013-06-04 12.57.27.jpg

Hog Fish and Spiny Lobsters 2013-06-29 12.33.02.jpg

We have a couple places near here where we catch bluegills at 1.25-1.5 pounds on waxworms. Easily portable bait they go nuts for around weedbeds. And during the spring,the big cays in lake Erie are staging in the mouths of local rivers before going upriver to spawn. Channel cats with none below 12-15". From about 8:30,tide out to about 12:30pm tide in,we get some 70 catfish. Wish I could still do all that walking.
A favorite summer meal is fresh 'gill fellets rolled in seasoned flour & cornmeal with a heap of fries on the table. A lil tarter sauce & some cold beers & just reach in & chow down!

Why is it the idea of noodling is terrifying to me? I think its the fact that one puts their arm in an enclosed space, cannot see what is going on with said arm, and then invite an unseen creature to bite it. I know the bite is harmless, but the idea just gives me the willies.

Why is it the idea of noodling is terrifying to me? I think its the fact that one puts their arm in an enclosed space, cannot see what is going on with said arm, and then invite an unseen creature to bite it. I know the bite is harmless, but the idea just gives me the willies.

I got to +1 that. No Noodle for me. There are alligator snapping turtles that weigh in at 45 lbs (state record in AR). Don't they live in the same places?

Not whining but this bite took over a month to heal. I took the pic the day I got bit by a little old 25 pound flathead. Got me right on that big tendon on inside of knee. Well I kept going to the river everyday and ended up letting it get infected. Every time I bent my knee I broke open the puss filled cracked skin. I actually got worried about it and thought that if it got worse.... it may never get better. I was concerned that if it went that way they may end up cutting off my leg. This was the only time I ever was concerned with a fish bite in forty years of noodling.

Can't tell you where I live we have way too many noodlers already since all the tv stuff came about. It has nearly ruined noodling here.

Curtis2010 said:
Fishing and beer....a classic combination.

I do most of my fishing in salt water. A few pics attached.

"Hogfish" (the reddish fish in one of the pics) is one of the most delicious fish on the planet...of course the King Mac and Grouper shown in the other pics ain't bad either!

Ah ha! And I see a few 'bugs' in that last picture. Did that with my brother in law off key largo a couple years ago--35 keepers. Good time. Saw a couple lion fish and touched a fire coral against the outside of my arm.. Ouch.

Magic8Ball said:
I got to +1 that. No Noodle for me. There are alligator snapping turtles that weigh in at 45 lbs (state record in AR). Don't they live in the same places?

That was my first thought exactly. I've seen what one of those does to a broomstick ...

jonnyp1980 said:
Stripers! Caught these beauties late June

NICE! Gotta love the north east.

Me too. I'm originally from southern Mississippi....lots of alligator snappers, big gators, snakes....I'm not sticking my body parts in there.

Ah ha! And I see a few 'bugs' in that last picture. Did that with my brother in law off key largo a couple years ago--35 keepers. Good time. Saw a couple lion fish and touched a fire coral against the outside of my arm.. Ouch.

Yes, 'bugs" and Hogfish for dinner. The bottle in the corner of the pic is "Ron Abuelo" (a Panamanian Rum...currently in Panama and the pic was taken here).

Lion Fish are pretty good eating too. Speared a few recently. Venom is pretty potent so have to be careful with those spines...I just grazed one a while back while cleaning it and my finger throbbed for a few hours.

Back