Mangrove Jack's Yeast Pack (add-on) for your brewing software

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stpug

Reaction score
Attached is a beersmith (bsmx) and beerxml (xml) file containing the yeast strains for Mangrove Jack's currently released yeasts. I provided two formats in case the bsmx version doesn't work with your software. If you want to add them to BeerSmith, you should be able to open one of these files with your brewing software and just drag/drop them into your yeast ingredient list. I hope you all find this useful.

I had to make my own judgment calls on what exactly "very high", "high", "medium", and "low" attenuation mean to Mangrove Jack, so YMMV a bit on attenuation.

Cheers! :tank:

Example Yeast Profile:
U.S. West Coast
Mangrove Jack's
M44

Type: Ale
Form: Dry
Attenuation: 76.50 %
Flocculation: High
Max Temperature: 74.0 F
Min Temperature: 59.0 F
Size: 23.66 ml
Times Cultured: 0
Add To Secondary: FALSE
Max Reuse: 5
Inventory: 0.0 pkg

Best For: Suitable for American Style Pale Ale, American Double IPA, American- Style Imperial stout and more. Suitable for American ales. This yeast produces an exceptionally clean flavor, ideal for when you want the hop character to really punch through. Ideal for American Pale Ale, American IPAs and Double IPAs, American Imperial Stout and more.

Notes: Mangrove Jack says:
A top fermenting ale strain suitable for American style ales. This yeast produces an exceptionally clean flavour, ideal for when you want the hop character to really punch through.

Rebel Brewer says:
With the craft beer movement being lead by the USA, there has been a demand for a yeast strain which emphasizes the expressive flavors of the unique ingredients used. US West Coast Ale Yeast is a high attenuating, top-fermenting strain that ferments with almost completely neutral attributes across a wide range of wart strengths and temperature ranges. It produces a moderately high acidity which allows the tangy citrus hop aromas to really punch through, while also enhancing toasted and dark malt characters. If you plan to use a lot of expensive flavorful hops as the prominent feature of your beer, use this yeast. Mangrove Jack’s US West Coast Ale Yeast M44 is very similar to Wyeast 1764 Pacman Yeast from Rogue.

Fermentation Observations: Quick to start, this strain will linger through primary and secondary fermentation, achieving final gravity after 2 weeks. Krausen will be dense and creamy, occasionally voluminous. Patience in conditioning will reward brewers with a nicely dry, yeast -neutral beer.

Aroma Characteristics: A very neutral strain, even when fermented in higher gravity worts and warmer temperatures. Tangy citrus and pine hops aromas will be enhanced, s well as toasted and dark malt aromas.

Flavor/Mouthfeel Characteristics: Beers fermented with this strain will finish dry and crisp. This strain is at its best in hop prominent American style ales. Very light ales may turn out a bit stripped, thin or astringent if care is not taken with the mash to favor dextrins and avoid over-extraction. Acidity is moderately high, boosting hop flavors and creating a clipped finish.

Higher Alcohol Beers: Remaining very neutral, and producing a bit of acid to balance alcohol and malt, this strain excels in strong ales with simple malt bills. Alcohol will be a dominant flavor and aroma constituent, and may be quite warming but not harsh.

DOWNLOAD FILES BELOW:

View attachment Yeast_MangroveJacks.bsmx

View attachment Yeast_MangroveJacks.xml

Attached is a beersmith (bsmx) and beerxml (xml) file containing the yeast strains for Mangrove Jack's currently released yeasts. I provided two formats in case the bsmx version doesn't work with your software. If you want to add them to BeerSmith, you should be able to open one of these files with your brewing software and just drag/drop them into your yeast ingredient list. I hope you all find this useful.

I had to make my own judgment calls on what exactly "very high", "high", "medium", and "low" attenuation mean to Mangrove Jack, so YMMV a bit on attenuation.

Cheers! :tank:

Example Yeast Profile:
U.S. West Coast
Mangrove Jack's
M44

Type: Ale
Form: Dry
Attenuation: 76.50 %
Flocculation: High
Max Temperature: 74.0 F
Min Temperature: 59.0 F
Size: 23.66 ml
Times Cultured: 0
Add To Secondary: FALSE
Max Reuse: 5
Inventory: 0.0 pkg

Best For: Suitable for American Style Pale Ale, American Double IPA, American- Style Imperial stout and more. Suitable for American ales. This yeast produces an exceptionally clean flavor, ideal for when you want the hop character to really punch through. Ideal for American Pale Ale, American IPAs and Double IPAs, American Imperial Stout and more.

Notes: Mangrove Jack says:
A top fermenting ale strain suitable for American style ales. This yeast produces an exceptionally clean flavour, ideal for when you want the hop character to really punch through.

Rebel Brewer says:
With the craft beer movement being lead by the USA, there has been a demand for a yeast strain which emphasizes the expressive flavors of the unique ingredients used. US West Coast Ale Yeast is a high attenuating, top-fermenting strain that ferments with almost completely neutral attributes across a wide range of wart strengths and temperature ranges. It produces a moderately high acidity which allows the tangy citrus hop aromas to really punch through, while also enhancing toasted and dark malt characters. If you plan to use a lot of expensive flavorful hops as the prominent feature of your beer, use this yeast. Mangrove Jack’s US West Coast Ale Yeast M44 is very similar to Wyeast 1764 Pacman Yeast from Rogue.

Fermentation Observations: Quick to start, this strain will linger through primary and secondary fermentation, achieving final gravity after 2 weeks. Krausen will be dense and creamy, occasionally voluminous. Patience in conditioning will reward brewers with a nicely dry, yeast -neutral beer.

Aroma Characteristics: A very neutral strain, even when fermented in higher gravity worts and warmer temperatures. Tangy citrus and pine hops aromas will be enhanced, s well as toasted and dark malt aromas.

Flavor/Mouthfeel Characteristics: Beers fermented with this strain will finish dry and crisp. This strain is at its best in hop prominent American style ales. Very light ales may turn out a bit stripped, thin or astringent if care is not taken with the mash to favor dextrins and avoid over-extraction. Acidity is moderately high, boosting hop flavors and creating a clipped finish.

Higher Alcohol Beers: Remaining very neutral, and producing a bit of acid to balance alcohol and malt, this strain excels in strong ales with simple malt bills. Alcohol will be a dominant flavor and aroma constituent, and may be quite warming but not harsh.

DOWNLOAD FILES BELOW:
Cool! Thanks!!

No problem. I just picked up most of these strains and wanted them in beersmith, and figured anyone one else using them might want the same.

I'm currently using the M27 and M07, thanks for the info! Any update on your actual attenuations?

None yet but I'll be testing out Burton Union in a short while. I've seen some thread on a couple strains if these yeasts that have shown pretty significant attenuation. I'll try to track it down and post a link.

Edit: Here's the thread where someone had big attenuation with workhorse:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f163/a...mangrove-jacks-new-zealand-406644/index9.html

A couple data points on how you might want to adjust your AA in beersmith:

Cream Ale (61% barley, 27% corn, 5% rice, 5% sugar)
MJ Britsh Ale M07
5.25 Gallon batch
Mash 150F
OG 1.047
Pitched at 64F
Lag 18 hours @ ~64F
FG 1.010
AA 78%

Pale Ale (88% base, 12% crystal/carapils)
MJ US West Coast M44
5.3 Gallon batch
Mash 153F
OG 1.058
Pitched at 61F
Lag 32 hours @ 63F
FG 1.010
AA 82%

Back