Metro Detroit Yeast Library

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like this idea. Wish I had some yeast to list. Main reason I don't save yeast is because I don't want to use it again very close to when I have it.... But the possibility of getting something else etc... Interesting I'll have to save some of my next yeast from teh conical.

Sounds good. It may takes some time but I bet we can get a good variety of yeasts in our area. Plus we will have some that are not available year round. i.e. I wanted to use some Denny's Favorite last brew day but it was gone from my LHBS so I had to substitute. Once enough people participate we should be able to have more access.

yeah I shared it with my club(CRAFT), you should post the link to it on other club's websites/facebook pages. Get the word out.

I will jump on but I also need to build some to share. Planning to pull some WhileLabs WPL090 from my current Pale Ale this weekend.

Very cool. I have only been brewing since January and haven't saved any yeast yet (for the same reason as mors). I will definitely keep this in mind. I have some Wyeast West Yorkshire Ale yeast that I was planning on re-using for a new batch soon. Maybe I'll wash it all and save some to trade.

The more participation the better here. I have some science background and plan to plate these yeasts, then take isolated (pure) colonies and put them in slants.

I am trying to make slants from new yeast but can make them from washings too.

Slants take 5-7 days to make a starter from but store up to a year. Hopefully I (or a few of us) will soon have every type of yeast we want to use available all year.

Hey I've only got one type of washed yeast available (just started brewing again) but I'm not sure how I should label it. I harvested Bell's regular strand from bottles of their Pale Ale, then used it in a Two Hearted Ale cone, and now I've got 2 mason jars that have been washed from the primary yeast cake. I'd be more than willing to offer 1 jar for anyone who would like it; it was my first time harvesting yeast from bottles but damn, that fermentation took off like a bat out of hell!

I'd also like to get my hands on some of that WLP300 if possible, as I have a Hefe planned soon. It'd be awesome to see this yeast bank take off, though it looks like it hasn't been updated since back in October. :(

pint sized here as well. You don't actually need that much yeast in there...at least if you make a starter etc.. and I usually do so I can make sure it's active anyways before pitching.

I'm hoping to move to slants in the near future. Plan on building a stir plate (especially with a $10 off $10 coupon from Staples hanging around), then adding a 2L flask and some vials. Seems like a much easier way to save yeast for the future, and to get more individual amounts per starter.

Ah, when I bought jars, the quart size jars were the same price as the pints. So the jar I listed on the site is a quart size. In case it matters to anybody.

I think what maters most is how much yeast slurry is in the jar, right? I used the yeast washing tutorial on this site, but since I didn't have a 2 qt size jar like the tutorial author, I just used a quart jar as a first step, then poured that into two pint jars. That means I used half as much water to stir up the yeast cake than he used, so I think I got twice as much yeast slurry in in pint jar compared to his picture; the pint jars I used don't have measurements like some of the others, but I estimate I have aout 3-4oz of slurry in each jar. The tutorial looked like about 2oz slurry per jar.

yeah I would recommend making a starter with any yeast you get this way regardless of the size of the jar etc... unless you know it was harvested within the past week etc...

Metanoia, I have some WLP 300 on a petri dish. How soon do you need it.

P.S. I have been bogged down at school, but I plan to maintain this library for years to come.

I have the following White Labs yeast in original tubes, all expired Aug. 11, 2011. I've never used yeast that was more than 6mo. past expiration, although I know some people do. These are obviously way beyond that. Before I toss them, they're up for grabs if anyone has a use for them.

Avize Yeast WLP718 <Gone>
British Ale WLP005 <Gone>
Belgian Wit WLP400 <Gone>
Irish Ale WLP004 <Gone>
Pacific Ale WLP041 <Gone>

Note: All are now gone. 1/29/13

What part of town are you in? I might wanna come get these and see if I can get them to grow and then put them back in the fridge to use soon.

Neovox, I would take the

WLP400
WLP005

off you hands. I'm in Warren. Where are you at?

I will have to see what yeast I have at home. I will be joining the list.

Is there a way to take a yeast off the list. I used the one I had added. When I transferred, I didn't have everything I needed to be able to wash the yeast again. So, it is gone.

Sorry. It took me way too long to figure that out. It was staring me in the face. You should be able to edit now.

I had a kreezer mishap. I knocked the temp probe out of the kreezer and all my yeast and beer froze. Had to dump all the yeast and bottles of beer. Kegs have thawed and taste fine. When I build up my yeast again I will add it to the list.

yeah I have since used the yeast I had availible... though I will be harvesting some Wyeast 3522 Belgian Ardennes yeast in a week or so from the conical.

Out of the 6 yeasts I got from neovox one has died and one is alive. I am trying the 3rd now, I will post what I have available once I am done with all 6.

Oooh, I'm a fan of that Belgian Ardennes yeast. I brewed a couple batches with it last summer. That was before I started washing and saving yeast, though.

Just added a Oktoberfest wlp820 lager yeast. We need more people to get in on this.

Hi, I was wondering how/what you guys were doing to manage and promote your MI yeast bank? We have one in Chicago but it kind of fizzled. We are looking for some fresh and creative ideas from other people who are running similar yeast banks. Thank you!

Well, I haven't gotten any inquiries about the yeast I've listed. And I forgot to check for yeast the last time I brewed something I didn't already have yeast for.

I don't know if others have made more use of it. I also haven't been able to brew very often, so that has contributed to me forgetting about the yeast library.

I would say no ;-)

If you open it google drive actually warns you the file is in the owners trash and will soon be unavailable.

Back