How to connect a thermocouple?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cromwell

Reaction score
I have this PID. http://novapcs.brinkster.net/novapcs/PC7/PC7-pid%20temperature%20and%20k%20thermocouple-1.jpg

With this wiring diagram: http://novapcs.brinkster.net/novapcs/PC7/PC7-pid%20temperature%20and%20k%20thermocouple-5.jpg

So, I'm confused as to how to connect the two wires of the K thermocouple to this PID? Is it just to terminals 7 and 10? Do I need jumpers/resistors/something else?

TIA!

PC7-pid%20temperature%20and%20k%20thermocouple-5.jpg

So, I went with an RTD, but I'm still confused how to connect it. The RTD has 3 wires - 2 red and one white.
Little help?

Thanks in advance!

So, I went with an RTD, but I'm still confused how to connect it. The RTD has 3 wires - 2 red and one white.
Little help?

Thanks in advance!

A RTD will connect to screws 7,8 & 10. The two wires that are the same color go under screws 7 & 8. The remaining wire goes under screw 10. Depending on the PID you may also need to connect screws 9 & 10 together.

The RTD probe white wire goes to terminal 7. That's the probe minus connection.
The two red wires go to terminals 8 & 9. They are the probe plus connections.

Terminal 10 is for a completely different probe type.

Yep, I hooked it up the way P-J said and it seems to work correctly now - the PID output is within 2 degrees of my thermometer.

Now, though, the PID won't turn off. I had it programmed for 160 (F) and it went right up to 210 and stayed there while the water boiled. I changed the set value down to 70 and it still stayed on. Any suggestions?

Sounds like you might have a problem with the SSR or the wiring of it.

I suggest that you remove one of the wires from the PID to the SSR (the control side of the SSR not the power side) and then see if it is still applying heat to the kettle. If so, the SSR is bad. If it does not apply heat with that connection open, then you either have a wiring error, a program problem with the PID or the PID has gone bad for some reason.

Let us know what you find.

I don't think it's the SSR. The light on the PID that indicates it's trying to heat is on. Also, I have seen the SSR turn off momentarily when I stirred the pot for some reason. No idea why that'd be true. I'll try disconnecting the control to the SSR.

Ok, so I didn't disconnect the PID control, but I did put it in autotune, and it turned the heating element off. So I assume that proves the SSR and heating element are wired ok, correct?

Back