The new style

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Whippy

Reaction score
What new beer styles do you think we will see in the next decade, or what new styles would you LIKE to see recognized by the BJCP or the BA or whatever?

My pick for "like to see" would be an American Brown Porter...earthy American hops (Willamette, etc.) and higher alcohol than the traditional

What I think we will see would be the Black IPA (please forgive the contradiction in terms) and the red hoppy beers

I don't think we'll see an American Bitter style. The English Bitter is bitter only in name. It's largely a marketing term to make the beer seem more manly and to distinguish it from milds. Bitters and Pale Ales are almost identical. The only differences come from English yeast and American hops. Aside from light American lagers, there aren't many commercial examples of small American beers.

We will probably see the BJCP catch up to the AHA in styles to some degree, bringing in imperial reds as well as a few others. Rye and Black IPA's might make it in, as these are commercially popular. As more brewers sell these beers, we will probably see them define the styles. Each style will need an appropriate range in a number of variables, both qualitative and quanitiative. For a style to emerge, we would have to have many similar beers that are distinct from existing styles.

ludomonster said:
I don't think we'll see an American Bitter style. The English Bitter is bitter only in name. It's largely a marketing term to make the beer seem more manly and to distinguish it from milds. Bitters and Pale Ales are almost identical. The only differences come from English yeast and American hops. Aside from light American lagers, there aren't many commercial examples of small American beers.

We will probably see the BJCP catch up to the AHA in styles to some degree, bringing in imperial reds as well as a few others. Rye and Black IPA's might make it in, as these are commercially popular. As more brewers sell these beers, we will probably see them define the styles. Each style will need an appropriate range in a number of variables, both qualitative and quanitiative. For a style to emerge, we would have to have many similar beers that are distinct from existing styles.

I think there are several examples for an "American" bitter. Most of them are not being distributed but they can be found at small breweries and brew pubs all over.

21A Bitter American (in the can its 4.4 ABV at the pub it was some where in the 3% range)

I make a 3.25 ABV ~ 37 IBU beer that is great.

Back