"blonde ale"

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

reiffer75

Reaction score
My blonde ale looks alot darker than i was expecting, is this normal? Will it lighten with time? (been in fermenter 5 days)

ForumRunner_20120803_212815.jpg

It has to do with how much beer you are looking at. 10 inches of beer in a fermenter allows less light through then the 2 inches in a glass, so it looks darker. Not to mention you have debris still floating around due to the fermentation - that is blocking more light/making it darker.

Let the fermentation finish and the yeast and trub settle. When you take your FG reading you'll get a better idea when it is in the hydrometer tube.

6.6 lbs. Light LME
1lb. Wheat DME
1lb. Corn sugar
1 lb. Honey Malt (steeping grain)

reiffer75 said:
My blonde ale looks alot darker than i was expecting, is this normal? Will it lighten with time? (been in fermenter 5 days)

Did you use beersmith ?

it has to do with how much beer you are looking at. 10 inches of beer in a fermenter allows less light through then the 2 inches in a glass, so it looks darker. Not to mention you have debris still floating around due to the fermentation - that is blocking more light/making it darker.

Let the fermentation finish and the yeast and trub settle. When you take your fg reading you'll get a better idea when it is in the hydrometer tube.

+1

6.6 lbs. Light LME
1lb. Wheat DME
1lb. Corn sugar
1 lb. Honey Malt (steeping grain)

Did you add all of the LME before the boil or did you do a late addition? I found when adding all of the LME before the boil, it makes the beer much darker than it should be. Now, I typically add 1/3 of the LME before the boil and then the remainder around five minutes before the end of the boil - I take the pot off of the flame when adding. Although, I hear many people add the remainder of the LME at flameout. I've never tried this, but I'm sure it's equally as effective.

I experienced same thing with my extract brews. Likely due to extract addition at beginning of boil which is usually what kit directions say to do. Your color may be off but it should still taste like a blonde ale.

ehh looking at your picture, it looks a little darker than a typical blonde ale (3-6 SRM) in the fermenter. it'll appear lighter in the glass.

grain bill looks fine; i'm sure it'll taste delicious. it may just look a little darker than expected.

Next time i will try half at begenning and half at flameout...thanks guys

Mine is the same...

Did the Brewer's Best Imperial Blonde Ale Kit for my first brew and it look smuch darker than expected. Much lighter when poured in a glass. I posted pictures under my profile. Still tasted good. Bottling in 1 week.

Back