Can you Brew It database

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@ EricCSU it seems you have fans of your CYBI thread, you should recruit them to knock out a few to get up to date...

runs4beer said:
@ EricCSU it seems you have fans of your CYBI thread, you should recruit them to knock out a few to get up to date...

What do you mean by knock out a few?

Eric

Maybe I'm missing something... was the last one up not Fuller's London Pride?

runs4beer said:
Maybe I'm missing something... was the last one up not Fuller's London Pride?

Nope, it is up to date. Avery Maharaja is the latest episode posted to iTunes. The link is about ten posts back.

I was going to do just that! I was also going to add a Jamil's Brews section with all of his brewing classic styles recipes. The problem... time to actually do this. I shall start immediately on Jamil's recipes from BCS, but is just entering them like the book says good enough for a start? How does one take my recipes and turn them into a Add-In for others to download and use? I'm pumped, starting with Light Lager page 46-47. Maybe I can get a lot done quicker than expected, who knows?

I was going to do just that! I was also going to add a Jamil's Brews section with all of his brewing classic styles recipes. The problem... time to actually do this. I shall start immediately on Jamil's recipes from BCS, but is just entering them like the book says good enough for a start? How does one take my recipes and turn them into a Add-In for others to download and use? I'm pumped, starting with Light Lager page 46-47. Maybe I can get a lot done quicker than expected, who knows?

I think once you've loaded the recipes into beersmith, you can export them as a .bsm file to somewhere on your computer. Then upload them here for people to use.

Agree though this could be time consuming...

I just want to throw in that the BCS book is chokeful of great info as well as great recipes. I'm all for putting it into Beersmith, but buy the book to get the all the tips, hints, and other style info it has to offer. I'm a big fan of my copy. :)

barrooze said:
I just want to throw in that the BCS book is chokeful of great info as well as great recipes. I'm all for putting it into Beersmith, but buy the book to get the all the tips, hints, and other style info it has to offer. I'm a big fan of my copy. :)

I have the book and like it. I'm really looking for one stop shopping for the CYBI recipes, particularly because the recipe settings are not my default and they are a pain to enter.

Eric, do you have software you are putting these in? I can help contribute to recipe downloads, but I'm currently using Beer Alchemy.

I have the book and like it. I'm really looking for one stop shopping for the CYBI recipes, particularly because the recipe settings are not my default and they are a pain to enter.

Eric, do you have software you are putting these in? I can help contribute to recipe downloads, but I'm currently using Beer Alchemy.

Personally, I use beersmith for my recipes. For the CYBI recipes, I just copy down what I hear.

I don't have time to make these into beersmith files, but welcome anyone who wants to try.

Eric

Just a quick reminder that all of this information is possible because of the hard work of Jamil and Tasty. Please listen to the show, whether live, on the BN website, or subscribe on iTunes. I credit much of my progress as a brewer to listening to the shows on The Brewing Network. If you enjoy those shows and the information, please consider donating. Also, please support the show's sponsor, Northern Brewer.

Thanks.

Eric

I completely agree everyone should not "not" buy the books and listen to the podcast to support this great information. I just would like to have easy access to the recipes. I tried my hardest to enter one BCS recipe and found it very hard to get the input info right. Does anyone know a streamlined way to enter from the book or podcast (ie. how to setup a default equipment/settings) to get the right info? It would be easy enough after that to change the recipe into my equipment or to whomever installs it for theirs. Maybe I am just not thinking right, or overthinking and can't see the light here. Help in the right direction and I will spit these things out as fast as I can. Heck, even Tx gave me a thumbs up so I think there are probably a lot of people that would use these. I'll check for response tomorrow since its been a long day and hopefully someone can point me in the right direction.

I'll give a walkthrough tomorrow morning if I get a chance if nobody else leaps in with one. Are you using beersmith?

I completely agree everyone should not "not" buy the books and listen to the podcast to support this great information. I just would like to have easy access to the recipes. I tried my hardest to enter one BCS recipe and found it very hard to get the input info right. Does anyone know a streamlined way to enter from the book or podcast (ie. how to setup a default equipment/settings) to get the right info? It would be easy enough after that to change the recipe into my equipment or to whomever installs it for theirs. Maybe I am just not thinking right, or overthinking and can't see the light here. Help in the right direction and I will spit these things out as fast as I can. Heck, even Tx gave me a thumbs up so I think there are probably a lot of people that would use these. I'll check for response tomorrow since its been a long day and hopefully someone can point me in the right direction.

What software program are you using?

Start with entering the defaults that are listed before every recipe. Occasionally, the efficiency or volumes will be different, but I try to note that when it is the case.

Eric

I have a fair amount of them already entered into beersmith. Anyone have a recommendation for a host for the files?

seabass07 said:
I have a fair amount of them already entered into beersmith. Anyone have a recommendation for a host for the files?

Dropbox
ADrive
Box.net

All will be free and can generate static links.

Or you can send them to me and I'll host them.

Thanks. I have 15 of them. I'll put them here and in the individual recipe threads.

I have them set up for my system, so infusion amounts and temps will be off. I also didn't set up carbonation for any of them. Everything else is there in addition to the notes I took from the shows on most of them.

I think there's a limited time that someone can edit a post. That's why the first post isn't up to date with new recipes.

Yep, I am using BS2. The thing I am having problems with is the numbers they give in the book or podcasts aligning with my equipment to input the recipes. I am curious as to if I need a "made up" equipment profile that would give me the numbers. Then everyone could just download them and transform them to their equipment. Myself included, I feel getting the recipe as close to what the book/podcasts say would be what everybody would want, so I would hate to do the recipes to my setup and force people to shrink/change them from there. This is so hard for me since I don't brew that small of batches ever!

I made up an equipment profile for CYBI recipes since they're all the same. Get's the recipe correct and easy to adjust for your equipment & batch size.

Yea, I usually make between 5 and 7 gallons per batch, so their recipes lined up with my equipment perfectly.

It's really easy to scale a recipe. If you have scaled it to 10 or 12 gallons, all we'd have to do is use the scale option and change how much we want to make.

ok, so I made a folder in my recipes on BS2 called CYBI i'd like to save these BS files directly to that, but I can't seem to find the location in my \Documents\Beersmith2\

whats up with that, like wise the recipes I have made and saved seem to be hiding from me.

-=Jason=-

EDIT: I had to open each recipe up one by one then import into BS and save in my CYBI folder

seabass07 said:
I think there's a limited time that someone can edit a post. That's why the first post isn't up to date with new recipes.

That is correct.

Sent from my iPhone using HB Talk

I think the easiest way to do it is to enter the recipe then change the efficiency and volumes to match your system.

Eric

Sent from my iPhone using HB Talk

I made up an equipment profile for CYBI recipes since they're all the same. Get's the recipe correct and easy to adjust for your equipment & batch size.

care to share you CYBI equipment file or ?????

-= Jason =-

I posted over at the Beersmith forum and this was the response from Brad:
Hi,
To create a recipe add-in:
- Create the recipes in BeerSmith 2 - I recommend 10-15 recipes per recipe pack to keep download times reasonable
- Put them in a folder with the desired name (such as "Can You Brew It" - or whatever you want)
- Select the folder and use the "Export Selected" command on the file menu to export just that single folder containing the recipes as a BSMX file
- Email the BSMX file to me (beersmith at my beersmith.com domain)
- Include in the email how you want the recipe pack listed (i.e. the name of the add-on)

That's it - I will host the file on the server here and add it to the list so everyone can get it!

Brad

I uploaded all of the CYBI files posted by Seabass. If you don't mind I'll send them on to Brad and from there it should be just a couple of clicks for anyone with BS2 to download all of them we have so far. We can create more add-ins as we get more recipes uploaded.

Just my two bits; since The Brewing Network came up with the recipes, I'd at least put their name on the add-on file name. Something like "The Brewing Network - Can You Brew It Recipes.bsmx". It's up to you, obviously.

Yea. It looks like a completely different beer. Not even close to what their website says.

Just my two bits; since The Brewing Network came up with the recipes, I'd at least put their name on the add-on file name. Something like "The Brewing Network - Can You Brew It Recipes.bsmx". It's up to you, obviously.

It seems a bit pointless to me when it will be posted in the CYBI database threads.

Latest posts

Back