IBA Recipe Critique

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SteinBrew

Reaction score
I am working on a new all-grain IBA recipe for a 10 gallon batch. I've never brewed an IBA, so I would love to hear any feedback from those more knowledgeable and experienced than myself. Thank you in advance for any shared insight!

Stats:
Mash efficiency - 73%
Pre-boil - 1.055
OG - 1.059
FG - 1.014
Color - 21.1 SRM
Bitterness - 62 IBU
ABV - 6%
ABW - 4.7%

Grain Bill:
Maris Otter - 10lbs. - 40.4%
2-Row - 9lbs. - 36.4%
Caramel 40L - 1lb. - 4%
Munich 10L - 1lb. - 4%
Chocolate - 1lb. - 4%
CaraPils - 1lb. - 4%
Victory - 0.75lb. - 3%
Caramel 80L - 0.5lb. - 3%
CaraMunich 60L - 0.5lb. - 2%

Hops Bill:
60 min. - 2oz. Nugget
10 min. - 1oz. Chinook
5 min. - 1.5oz. Tettnang, .75oz. Willamette, .5oz. Saaz
Flame-out - 1.5oz. Saaz, .75oz. Willamette, .5oz. Tettnang
Dry-hop - 2oz. Columbus

Yeast:
Wyeast 1764-PC - ROGUE Pacman
Profile: A versatile yeast strain from one of Oregon’s leading craft breweries. Pacman is alcohol tolerant, flocculent, attenuates well and will produce beers with little to no diacetyl. Very mild fruit complements a dry, mineral finish making this a fairly neutral strain. Pacman’s flavor profile and performance makes it a great choice for use in many different beer styles.

Alc. Tolerance 12% ABV
Flocculation med-high
Attenuation 72-78%
Temp. Range 60-72°F (15-22°C)

I think it looks tasty.

My only thoughts are you might want to up the IBU a bit. I have made several versions of IBA's and by far the best tasting and best recieved was this one:

Size: 5.5 gal
Efficiency: 75.0% - Attenuation: 75.0%

Original Gravity: 1.073 (1.056 - 1.075) - Terminal Gravity: 1.018 (1.010 - 1.018)
Color: 19.35 - Alcohol: 7.24% - Bitterness: 103.6

Ingredients:
13 lb American 2-row
8.0 oz Caramel Malt 20L
8.0 oz Brown Malt
8.0 oz White Wheat Malt
8.0 oz Belgian Aromatic
4 oz Kiln Coffee Malt
8 oz Pale Chocolate Malt
2 oz Roasted Barley
.5 oz Warrior (16.0%) - added during boil, boiled 60 min
.5 oz Columbus (15.0%) - added during boil, boiled 60 min
.5 oz Summit (17.0%) - added during boil, boiled 30 min
.5 oz Columbus (15.0%) - added during boil, boiled 30 min
.5 oz Mt. Hood (5.0%) - added during boil, boiled 15 min
1 oz East Kent Goldings (5.0%) - added during boil, boiled 10 min
1 oz East Kent Goldings (5.0%) - added during boil, boiled 1 min
1.0 ea Fermentis US-05 Safale US-05
.5 oz Summit (17.0%) - added dry to secondary fermenter
.5 oz Mt. Hood (5.0%) - added dry to secondary fermenter
1 oz Cascade (5.5%) - added dry to secondary fermenter

I have yet to find someone who doesn't like this beer. Even those that don't like IPA's love the balanced flavor.

I say go for it and you can tweak it next batch if you want.

Cheers!

Checkout my Imperial Bastard in my recipes. It's a IIPA but could be tamed a bit. :eek: I tried to stay away from chocolate and black malts. Didn't want the roastiness.

Stein - RE: the IBU's that Billy is talking about....I disagree with him that you need to up the IBU's as it appears to me (IBU wise anyway) your recipe hits within the BJCP range...I think 70 is the top end for an IPA....and his is in the IBU range of a IIPA. Not that he is wrong I just think stylisticly, you have a good IPA recipe.....and both recipe's look good.

Good Luck!

I understand what Durango is talking about - that is why my first several attempts at an IBA / Cascadian Dark Ale were in the traditional IBU range. What I found was the hop flavor was lost in the roasted malt flavors that were introduced and to get the balance back I had to hop like it was more of an IIPA.

But that is the beauty of brewing - brew to your tastes - drink - adjust and brew again :)

Remember it is all research.

Cheers

Back