Another Cider First Timer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TimmyR

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
This is my first try at cider-mkaing. I have listened to the Cider Show (Revisited) on The Brewing Network several times and am reading Craft Cider Making by Andrew Lea and Cider Hard and Sweet by Ben Watson.

Batch 1,2.5 gallons pasteurized cider; WLP775; 65F ferment; 1.042 OG

Batch 2, 2.5 gallons pasteurized cider; Red Star Cote De Blanc; 65F ferment; 1.042 OG

Batch 3, 2 gallons of unpasteurized cider; potassium metabisulfite; WLP 775; 55 F ferment; 1.054 OG; pH~3.6
Batch 4, 2 gallons of unpasteurized cider; potassium metabisulfite; WLP300; 55 F ferment; 1.054 OG; pH ~3.6
Batch 5, 3/4 gallon of unpasteurized cider; 1/2 dose potassium metabisulfite; 55 F natural ferment; 1.054 OG; pH ~3.6

Batches 1 & 2 are sitting in my basement and are starting to clear. I am planning to leave them on their yeast for 2 more weeks (4-weeks total) and then rack to secondary.

Batches 3-5 were all dosed with sodium metabisulfite according to Andrew Lea's tables in Craft Cider Making. I JUST dosed them and they are siting in my chest freezer at 55F with a piece of loose foil over each. Tomorrow I am going to pitch yeast into the two 2-gallon batches and let the 3/4 gallon batch go.

Well, you just like to dive right in don't you?
It all looks pretty good to me, that is one way to find out what you like.
Just remember to let them condition a good amount of time, bottle them in small bottles and start to work on what time line per yeast works for you for the best taste.

Well, you just like to dive right in don't you?
It all looks pretty good to me, that is one way to find out what you like.
Just remember to let them condition a good amount of time, bottle them in small bottles and start to work on what time line per yeast works for you for the best taste.

Thanks and yes. I've been homebrewing for about 13 years now (with a couple of "breaks in service") and now that I live in S. IL I have found a lot of apple orchards....I figured I take a stab at cider in the Fall in addition to my homebrewing.

Thanks for the follow-up. Quick question...I am going to be spending one night out in Honolulu for work and wondered if you know where I can secure some 6-packs of Maui Brewing Coconut Porter and Big Swell IPA?? Do you happen to know a good beer store in the area?

Thanks again for the quick reply...

Cheers,

Timmy

Cider Hard and Sweet by Ben Watson.

that book is too esoteric :D

Good luck on the batches. Sounds like a great plan to zero in on what you like. Nothing better than doing multiple batches slightly different to see how different they can turn out ;)

Quick question...I am going to be spending one night out in Honolulu for work and wondered if you know where I can secure some 6-packs of Maui Brewing Coconut Porter and Big Swell IPA?? Do you happen to know a good beer store in the area?
Timmy

When are you going to be here? And where are you staying?

I think both are available in most food land stores (local store), I really think you should be able to get them at any large grocery store.
Hell, first place I would check in Waikiki is an ABC store.
If you are stuck in Waikiki check out the yard house, I don't go into town often but if you want a good selection of drinks that is the place to go, but go early. It is still too crowded for me to enjoy.
I would also recommend the Firerock IPA, and others from the Big Island Brewery.

I'll be in town on Halloween, not sure where we'll be put up just yet. I am HOPING to hit the E-Suites in Waikiki next to the Yard House. That's always a favorite of mine unless it's a Sunday and I can stay at the Outrigger Waikiki above Duke's.

I'll let you know where we stay...maybe I can buy you a beer and talk some homebrewing?

Cheers,

Timmy

Update:
Batches 1 & 2 fermented out to about 1.001 and taste dry and tart. Those were racked to CO2 purged secondaries and are sitting in my basement at about 65F.

Batches 3-5 are sitting at 55F. I pitched WLP300 and WLP775 (along with 1/4 tsp yeast nutrient) each into a 2-gallon batch of cider I had treated 24-hours prior with sodium metabisulfite according to Andrew Lea's instructions. Today is day 5 and there is still no apparent activity.

When should I start to worry about batches 3-5? Is it common to have such a slow fermentation that there is no visible activity?

Latest posts

Back