cider recipe.. what do you think?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeerLuvnGrl

Reaction score
i am going to do another cider and this time im using just regular juice.. a simple straight cider..

5 gallons of apple juice
5 cans apple juice concentrate

Distillers Active Dry Yeast for 5 gallons (the package is for 10 gallons, 20 grams..planning on cutting it in half and only pitching half the yeast)

I am not really sure on the amount of concentrate to add.. ive read to use it to bring up the alc % and thats what im trying to do.. ive read on several recipe/board sites to add 1 can per gallon..does that sound right?

the other question i have is with the yeast.. the package is for 10 gallons but should i pitch only half or should i pitch the whole thing to get it off to a good fermenation and boost the alcohol up? not sure what to do .. advice would be helpful! or would champagne yeast be the way to go and just save this for something else?

id like this one to turn out a straight cider.. the last one added WAY too much clove and not sure how its gonna do..just letting it sit and mellow now..

Hate to highjack a thread, but it's related:

What does the concentrate do to flavor? Would you add this before primary, or could it be added later, like when racking?

When I made cider, I used 2 cans of 16 oz concentrate and 4 gallons of applejuice, and it turned out really dry just with one packet of Safale 04. One of the 16 oz cans will make half a gallon of applejuice if added to just water. What you're starting out with sounds like it will have a kick. I would start out with 4 gallons of applejuice, then once a day add a can of concentrate to it so the yeast don't get osmotic shock.

The yeast are going to multiply and you'll get the same ABV anyways so I would say just dump the entire packet of yeast in if you want. It'll only make it finish up the primary fermentation quicker.

The evil twin has a good plan. If your cans of concentrate make a 1/2 gallon of juice, you should end up around 9-10%. Keep the temperature around 65F if you can, Distiller's yeasts are selected for high ABV tolerance and not much else. Champagne will handle the ABV just fine and is much cleaner, if you can't keep the temperature down.

so what you are saying is the 5 cans sound good however i should only add 2 at the start then introduce the others one a day for 3 days?

i was thinking the same thing about the yeast.. and i have pretty much decided to go with the champagne yeast...

thanks for the input!

With all that extra sugar from the concentrate and a distillers yeast,you'll end up with a very dry cider and a high ABV. Possibly very little apple flavor left in the end as well.

I've never used apple juice, just fresh pressed cider, though others have reported that it works well.

ok i've decided to go with champagne yeast for this one and save the distillers yeast for a later cider...how much concentrate should i add to ensure some apple flavor with a higher alcohol content than just 4-5%? im looking at least 8-10%

i am going to get a yeast starter going tomorrow and look at possibly pitching it on monday.. so any advice would be helpful.. trying to figure this one out..

we did go to a local place in Raleigh at the Mellow Mushroom and had a Woodchuck Apple Cider.. that stuff was amazing.. i know it didnt have a high alcohol content but was super smooth going down with just enough apple flavor.. stuff would definately fool ya! made me wanna make my cider tonight..anyone know how much alcohol is in that?

Woodchuck Apple Cider is 5% ABV. Use the Champagne yeast, add the 5 cans once a day until they're gone, and once the SG hits 1.000 backsweeten with more concentrate. In this case, if you found some juice with preservatives it would help kill off the yeast once you hit the alcohol level you wanted.

Geez now I want to make some cider. I did happen to see some apples on the side of the road next to Home Depot.. hmmmmm

Back