Opinions needed please

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Qdog

Reaction score
I am purchasing a bunch of used equipment that I already have in possesion from a buddy. He let me borrow it all. I want to give him a fair price but I dont want to pay too much. Listed below is what I would be giving him money for and I would like your input on how much to offer:

1 6.5 gal. glass carboy
3 5 gal carboys
3 corny kegs that i had to recondition
1 keggle
1 bottle capper
1 immersion chiller
1 c02 regulator that i had to replace the order gas guage on
1 5 pound c02 tank
1 bottling bucket

from what i have been gathering i think 150.00 would be a fair deal for both parties? Keep in mind everything was dirty as hell and needed reconditioned. :ban:

I am purchasing a bunch of used equipment that I already have in possesion from a buddy. He let me borrow it all. I want to give him a fair price but I dont want to pay too much. Listed below is what I would be giving him money for and I would like your input on how much to offer:

1 6.5 gal. glass carboy
3 5 gal carboys
3 corny kegs that i had to recondition
1 keggle
1 bottle capper
1 immersion chiller
1 c02 regulator that i had to replace the order gas guage on
1 5 pound c02 tank
1 bottling bucket

from what i have been gathering i think 150.00 would be a fair deal for both parties? Keep in mind everything was dirty as hell and needed reconditioned. :ban:

Well, 150 seems sorta low (but a great deal if he'd accept it)...I mean the immersion chiller alone is about 50-60 bucks now due to copper prices, the used corneys are going for about 30 bucks apiece around me (needing re-conditioning)...The carboys are 20-30 apiece but the prices have spiked for them now as well.....

I mean, if you can sucker...er I mean convince him to let it all go for that price I'd say sweet...if you wanna be honest, maybe 250, or 300....

that's just IMHO....And going by the prices around me...of course if you have any pocket money already involved in the reconditioning process, then that might reduce the price back down to your 150...

1 6.5 gal. glass carboy - $30 - $40
3 5 gal carboys - if glass $90 - $120, if plastic Better Bottles $60 - $75
3 corny kegs that i had to recondition - $90 - $105 (new would be $130 each)
1 keggle - cost of a few hours of labor and keg (prices may vary widely)
1 bottle capper - wing $15, bench $35
1 immersion chiller - copper is expensive, $ depends on length, around $50
1 c02 regulator that i had to replace the order gas guage on - depends on style, at least $40
1 5 pound c02 tank - $75
1 bottling bucket - $15

So, you would have $400 - $800 dollars in equipment if purchased from a homebrew store, depending on if some of it was used, and that doesn't include the cost of the keggle. I say offer him at least $200.

I would ask him what he think is fair and negotiate from there. I think $200 -$300 sounds fair to me. But hell we are home brewers and if you can get it for $25 why pay $300 right. and if you cant screw your friends whats the point in having them!!!! Just kidding LOL
JJ

This summer I got;
6 - 6 gallon carboys
6 - fermenting buckets with lids
1 - Cornelius Keg
1 - Full 20# CO2 tank
6 - Selection Wine Kits
About 12 cases of wine bottles
5 - Cases of swing top bottles
1 Bottle filler
And numerous small equipment including ball locks, racking canes, funnels, wine thief, air locks, books, etc.

For $100. So I don't think $150 is out of line for dirty used equipment.

I'd offer $200 and see what he says. Has he asked for money from it or is he really just letting you borrow it until he wants it back?

I'd ask him what he wants for it. You can compare prices with new all day, but if he just wants to get rid of it and wants someone to get some use out of it, then he might be perfectly happy to let you have it for $150 (although that is even a steal on CL, IMO)

Then you can patch up your conscience by giving him some of your homebrew (that you made with the money you saved by screwing him on his equipment).

Back