Possible oxidation? (Keg)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zach1288

Reaction score
I was kegging an IPA today and towards the end my auto siphon kept loosing suction and I had to "pump" it to get the last 1/2 gallon out of the fermenter. Is there a chance that I introduced too much oxygen into the beer? I purged the head space a couple of times right away.

Thanks,
Zach

I posted basically the same question 2 weeks ago and got the response that it should be fine. I purged the oxygen several times after kegging. Hope for the best.

If you immediately purge the head space of a freshly filled keg, the odds of any appreciable oxygenation are going to be very small at the most...

Cheers!

[edit] A recent thread started by someone who acquired a DO meter showed only 10% O2 absorption - and that was using a sintered air stone bubbling through the entire vessel for some time. IOW, don't worry 'bout it ;)

day_trippr said:
If you immediately purge the head space of a freshly filled keg, the odds of any appreciable oxygenation are going to be very small at the most...

Cheers!

[edit] A recent thread started by someone who acquired a DO meter showed only 10% O2 absorption - and that was using a sintered air stone bubbling through the entire vessel for some time. IOW, don't worry 'bout it ;)

Could you link to that thread? I am curious since I have a bottled batch that tastes very oxidized after 2 months in the bottle. It was fine at one month though.

Sure, pumping air into the beer will oxidize it. You can purge, but you can't "erase" the air pumped into it. Drink it sooner, rather than later, and you shouldn't notice much oxidation. Age it a bit, and you will.

I will probably drink it in less than a month. I'm guessing that I won't notice any oxidation that early.

Latest posts

Back