So who's brewing this weekend?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just finished up brewing a graham cracker/smores porter. I will wait to see which way the flavor lies before calling it. I wish I had had smoke malt but did not think of it when I first made the recipe. As it was going into the fermenters it smelled like french toast thanks to the cinnamon and vanilla extract I added at flame out. I pitched half on s04 and half on s05 so I could do a little comparison.

I just finished my second batch of the weekend. An ESB to follow my Belgian Black Ale from yesterday. My ferm chamber is now full w/ 6 brews & my kegerator is full w/ 3.

Popped off 6 gallons of cider tonight.

Brewing a nice IPA tomorrow. Light on the base:Just 2-Row, Victory, and a bit of Carapils. Columbus, Simcoe, and Amarillo for hopping. My favorite combo.

Also transferring an oud bruin to secondary tomorrow. That means I'm drinking some nice sours (for dregs) while brewing outside. Can't beat that.

I'm brewing a holiday brew with some sweet and spice, and hopps to make everything nice! Should be done just in time for Christmas. Can't wait to drink it!!

Brewed up a Red ale on Friday night for my wife's end of the world party. Came out perfect and I can't wait to drink it.

Also bottled an Oatmeal chococalte stout; can't wait to drink that one too :tank:

Brewed a Pliny the Elder clone beer this weekend. I got a lot the hops used from the Russian River brewery website and got ideas about the malts from fellow brewers as well as the hop profile. Here is the process I used.

Pliny The Elder Clone
Single Infusion – Double Sparge method
(5 gallons - All grains)
Target OG 1.070
IBU - high
FG 1.012

Ingredients
10 lbs 11oz Pale 2-Row malt
2 lbs Crystal (40L) malt
1 lbs 8oz Munich 10L malt

1oz – Amerillo 10% (bittering hop) 90 min
.5oz – Magnum 20% (bittering hop) 90 min
1oz - Columbus 14% (bittering hop) 60 min
1.5oz - Semcoe 13% (flavor hop) 15 min
1 oz - Centennial 10% (aroma hop) 3 min
.5oz – Semcoe 13% (aroma hops) Flame Out

Irish moss (Winfloc tablets – 1 tablet @ 15 min)
California Ale dry yeast

Step by step

Brewing Process:
Used 1gal water to 175F and pour into mash tun and swash around to set the temperature environment before mashing (10 min). Brought 4.5 gal of water to 165 degrees; added to mash tun. Added grains slowly while stirring lightly to ensure good saturation and even temperature ranges among the grain bed. Kept mash temperature at 152F for 60 min. Gently stired the grains at 20 min and 40 min. Started enough sparge water to 170F

After the 60 min mash is finished, ran out a few quarts of wart back onto the grain bed. Once a clean run out is attained, I drain all the wort from the tun into boil pot. Add sparge water to grain (pore water to grain bed slowly), stir grain lightly to loosen sugars. Add enough spare water to just cover the grains. Run out back to the tun after 5min using same run out process mentioned above. Continue the second batch sparge in the same manner as the first until you collect 7.25gal wort. My run out never got below 1.020 before reaching 7.25 gal kettle volume. Brought wort to a boil for 15min to get past the hot break add the hops as described above.

Once the wort boiled for 90 min, rapid cooled to 90F and racked to a clean and sanitized 6gal carboy. Sealed and allowed the wart to settle for 2-3 hours, thoroughly agitated wort then pitch yeast when temp is between 70F - 75F. Fermentation started Sunday morning and was vigorous on Monday morning. When gravity gets between 1.015 - 1.020 I will rack off sediment into clean and sanitized carboy until gravity gets to 1.010 - 1.012 the I will rack off sediment to clean and sanitized carboy and cold condition for 1 week.

Actuals:
Gravity after rapid cooling the wart was 1.065 (90F), adjusted for temp, SG - 1.069. Efficiency was approx. 76% and ABV @ FG of 1.012 should be around 7.47%.

By the way, I used water from a Reverse Osmosis dispenser at WinCo Foods at 30 cents a gal. That water has always given ma a PH of between 5.2 - 5.4 in the mash and I have not had to add any water salts. Vancouver, WA has the best brewing water I have used anywhere.

-dave

I have a "forced" day off tomorrow so decided I throw down another 10 gallon batch of Edwort's Robust Porter. This will be the 4th time I've brewed this but I always add vanilla beans to it. I'm a sucker for Vanilla Porter, especially in the winter. I just hope the LHBS has all the ingredients I don't have. Cascade has been impossible to find. Not sure if it's back yet or not. If I can't get Northern Brewer and Cascade I may try to sub it with Chinook. Saaz if all else fails.

Bwood1377 said:
Made Caribou Slobber today. Heard great things about it and have been wanting to brew it for awhile.

I have been wanting to make that as well. Who here has? Is it a good winter beer?

chuckstout said:
How about
Mash 154 60min
6lb 2row
3lb pale
2lb. Vienna
1lb. C40
2oz. Cherrywood
.5 oz nugget 60min 13%
.5 oz perle 20min 8.5%
.5 oz perle 1min 8.5%
US-05 or wlp810

Mash 150
8lbs Vienna
4lbs pale
1 oz perle 60min
Wlp500

sorry i missed this! still have the smoked malt. i ended up making a quasi Munchener Helles, 2-row, vienna, honey, tettnang, wlp810.

the first beer you suggested seems light in color and smoke. have you had this or had something in mind?

Whutever said:
Brewing what will be 10g of a Habanero Sculpin IPA clone. Dark and 50˚ at the moment so should be a great day. Cheers! :)

tell me more of this

gimmejava said:
Brewing up my own ESB starting in about an hour. My first attempt at my own. Up until now I have only done clones and kits, but after reading Designing Great Beers I decided to try my own. Hopefully it won't taste like horse piss.

imade one this year. if you read the style guidelines and have software, you can come up with something good. keys tend to be water, english hops, and a nice dark color without too much malt character

koopa said:
Brewed a 10 gallon batch of an imperial milk chocolate porter today. Used 1# of unsweetened dutch cocoa powder and 2# of lactose in the boil. OG 1.070 and hoping for a FG around 1.020 or so. Going to be adding cocoa nibs to secondary and if I want even more chocolate in the final product (after tasting it at that point) I'll add some home made chocolate vodka tincture to the keg!

Also kegged 10 gallons of IPA brewed exclusively with Riwaka and Moetuka hops from New Zealand today. Decided to add 4oz of Galaxy to the one corny keg. Might do something with the other one as I've finally come to the conclusion that I simply don't like Riwaka hops.

weird. so many peeps seem to like Riwaka. in fact, a brewery in Des Moines just made a "Riwakan Dead"

This upcoming weekend I'm campy like deh Dr Evil/Senor Chen and my new secret weps are ... YEAST BACK FROM EVIDENCED DEATH. Yes..... Mwahahahahah!!!!! I shake them startrrrs by hand so bad 'n the yeast is like.. ALIVE.

APA and a Belgian Dark Wheat!

I took advantage of the Remembrance Day stat holiday for federal government workers here in Canada, and the beautiful 20-degree weather we had this weekend, and held a 2-day quadruple-batch brewing marathon.

On Sunday, I brewed a Bohemian Pilsner Lager with Wyeast Czech Pils yeast I started 2 weeks ago, and an Irish Red Ale with some Wyeast Irish Ale yeast I harvested from a Dry Irish Stout I just kegged on Thursday.

On Monday, I brewed an American Pale Ale and an IPA, both featuring Zythos hops.

It was surprisingly exhausting. By last night, after everything had been sealed up and all the equipment cleaned, I was physically drained. My knuckles are raw and sore from soaking in so much PBW and Star-San all weekend. I like having a full pipeline, and I'll probably do double-brew days again in the future, but I don't think I'll do two in a row again.

We plan on doing a double brew day on Saturday.

5-6 gallons of Lil Sparky's Nut Brown (2nd time)

and either

Citra Pale or Winter Warmer (depending on if the LHBS gets Citra in or not)

i have a blonde ale kit from Ritebrew that i plan to try a full boil for the first time in my 7.5 gallon turkey fryer pot. up to now just been doing partial boils.

tre9er said:
sorry i missed this! still have the smoked malt. i ended up making a quasi Munchener Helles, 2-row, vienna, honey, tettnang, wlp810.

the first beer you suggested seems light in color and smoke. have you had this or had something in mind?

No just tried to come up something drinkable with most of the ingredients you had. Could also use 1/5 ounce of each of the different hops you had a flameout, brewers cupboard beers are fun!

Teaching an introductory brewing class Saturday at Denver's Hackerspace - denhac. I'll be doing extract and all grain versions of Obama's Honey Ale.

Denverites try to swing by!

Last weekend I brewed a 5 gallon batch of NB's Phat Tyre extract kit, a 3 gallon BIAB Bass clone, and a 1 gallon MO/EKG smash.

This weekend I'm brewing NB's Speckled Heifer partial mash kit (can't wait for this one), a 3 gallon BIAB Guinness clone, and another 1 gallon MO/??? smash (undecided on the hop atm).

This leaves me with one empty ale pale, one empty 5 gallon Better Bottle (my other two have 3 month+ Apfelwein in them), and one empty 1 gallon jug. Looks like Thanksgiving may end up being a brew day as well :)

I am! Looking to make a brown ale, sort of like Sierra Nevada Tumbler.

Hopefully I'll actually have time...

Brewing my version of amber ale with oranges as primary adjunct. Came out very good last time. finising Keezer and adding new hardware to keggles. If get all that done on Saturday then maybe a Centennial Blond on Sunday.

Not technically brewing, but my 10 gal of fresh cider is coming in on Saturday, and it'll go directly into the fermenter. My kids: Dad, why do you always turn all the cider into alcohol!? I bought an extra gallon this time, just to forestall such complaining.

Back