Are these going to explode & should I drink them ASAP?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JDFlow

Reaction score
I brewed a witbier that sat in the fermenter for about 2 weeks and has been in the bottle a little over a week. I popped one open tonight and it tastes excellent, but there's a lot of carbonation. Not gushing carbonation, but a lot. Is it normal for this style to carb that fast and is it going to increase with time? If so I guess I'll need to drink them before they all explode, right? Help!:drunk:

FG was .007 OG was 1.047. 3 gallon batch. 2.13 oz of corn sugar measured on a digital scale. Yes I made sure the FG was stable before bottling.

It's only been bottled one week?

That's probably your answer there. The newly formed CO2 hasn't dissolved into solution maybe. Let me guess, it foamed a lot but still seemed flat?

Give it at least three weeks in the bottle and be sure to chill for a couple days before serving.

I opened another one just to be sure it wasn't an issue of the priming sugar not being evenly distributed. Same story, I guess it just carbed up quick. Moved them to the fridge for happy drinking.

This raises another question: Will the beer condition further in the fridge?

my witbiers have always carbed up really fast but seem to calm down a bit after a week or 2. i say give them a bit more time then put a couple in the fridge for a few days

Back