Gambrinus 30L Dark Munich, how much is too much?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SwampassJ

Reaction score
I'm thinking of using it in a Black Lager but the information online is very very limited. Some say it's a cross between a munich and a roasted grain, another post describes it as a more aromatic munich and another describes it as very sweet.

Would 2lbs of it be overkill?

Honestly I think any is too much. Typically North American "Munich" is made from 6-row and is really a specialty malt. The descriptions are accurate in that it is much roastier, darker and sweeter (but not maltier) than real German Munich malt. Good German Munich is a far better choice IMO.

Hmm.Sounds like it would fit in a good porter brown or stout.Ill keep this in mind late summer. I wouldnt hesitate to try a small amout any anymeans.Could substitute for black malt some.

Forgot to post back that I ended up skipping on the 30L munich malt in favor of a lb of Dark 12L munich malt from Global Malt. I'm not liking the 12L stuff anywhere near enough to even try a darker Munich. It's actually overpowered any of the roast flavor from the carafa and could be a dark O-fest.

Back