Smoked wheat

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tbulger

Reaction score
I have never reaaly developed a recipe yet but this is one i came up with. What do you think? Suggestions appreciated.

Amount Item Type % or IBU 5.50 lb Wheat Malt, Ger (2.0 SRM) Grain 50.0 % 4.00 lb Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM) Grain 36.4 % 1.00 lb Smoked Malt (9.0 SRM) Grain 9.1 % 0.50 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM) Grain 4.5 % 1.00 oz Hallertauer [4.80%] (60 min) Hops 16.4 IBU 0.50 oz Hallertauer [4.80%] (20 min) Hops 5.0 IBU 0.50 oz Hallertauer [4.80%] (5 min) Hops 1.6 IBU

I'd use more than a pound of smoked malt, myself. Maybe not quite haf the grain bill, but a good 35% - 40%. But, I like smoked beers!

Remember, rauchbiers are 100% smoked malt, so don't be too afraid of the smoke.

I'd do a single hop addition, too; this beer is about the wheat, the yeast, and the smoke - not the hops.

SO how about this:

4# wheat malt
3.5 smoked malt
.5 crystal 10
3# maris otter

I like hops, but i also like smoked beer, should i do a ounce of halletuer at 60 and call it quits or an ounce @ 60 min and half at thirty.

Oh and what yeast? i generaaly only use safale-05 and im drunk!

A little :off: but are there any good comercial examples of a smoked beer...I loved smoked meat and cheese so why not beer?

tbulger said:
SO how about this:

4# wheat malt
3.5 smoked malt
.5 crystal 10
3# maris otter

I like hops, but i also like smoked beer, should i do a ounce of halletuer at 60 and call it quits or an ounce @ 60 min and half at thirty.

Oh and what yeast? i generaaly only use safale-05 and im drunk!
1 ounce at 60 would do fine for a hefeweizen. you want a tiny bitterness to balance but don't want the flavor or aroma to overpower all those wonderful goodies your wheat yeast will impart :)

Okay, so I'm going to do one of these soon...and I'm trying to figure a recipe.

I'm trying to decide which malt to smoke, the wheat or the base 2-row. To me, it makes sense to smoke the wheat, seeing the beer is going to be a smoked wheat. However, I doubt it will make much difference in the long run.

So I'm thinking a grain bill of 50/50 wheat and 2-row, with 50% of the grist home smoked in my cold smoker contraption. I'll also be using the American Wheat strain, as I'm not a huge fan of German weizen strains.

Would you guys add any crystal or adjuncts to this grist?

Dude said:
Would you guys add any crystal or adjuncts to this grist?

It might not be a bad idea to add a little crystal to balance the smoke a bit, but there is already going to be lots going on in this beer. What are you thinking for IBUs?

Chairman Cheyco said:
It might not be a bad idea to add a little crystal to balance the smoke a bit, but there is already going to be lots going on in this beer. What are you thinking for IBUs?

So some crystal 20 perhaps?

Low IBUs...like 20-25. Does that sound okay?

You alright bro? Where ya been?

The recipe that is in the Classic Beer Style Series "Smoked Beers" book is this:

1.052 OG
17 IBU

6.3 lbs Wheat malt
3.0 lbs Smoked Malt

.85 oz Hersbrucker (4.0% aa)

Weizen Yeast

Mash temp: 152°

I am doing one of these soon--I probably won't stray too far from the basis of this--but I plan on using 50% smoked malt and probably a fairly low alpha acid American hop with the American Wheat strain.

Dude said:
So some crystal 20 perhaps?

Low IBUs...like 20-25. Does that sound okay?

That seems a bit hight to me, but I'm party to the Bavarian style. I'm sure that'll be fine.
There was an article about smoked wheats in BYO a while back, see if you can find it (I don't have my library with me.)

Dude said:
You alright bro? Where ya been?

I'm okay, I've been recharging the brew batteries. I had a long break-up this spring and it tends to take a lot out of a guy, sitting around, drinking beer for 8 weeks... ;)

I'm back now though.

:rockin:

Dude said:
The recipe that is in the Classic Beer Style Series "Smoked Beers" book is this:

1.052 OG
17 IBU

6.3 lbs Wheat malt
3.0 lbs Smoked Malt

.85 oz Hersbrucker (4.0% aa)

Weizen Yeast

Mash temp: 152°

I am doing one of these soon--I probably won't stray too far from the basis of this--but I plan on using 50% smoked malt and probably a fairly low alpha acid American hop with the American Wheat strain.

You are going to do that? I just bought a bunch more wheat malt and some WLP300 (I think) to do mine. Haven't decided if I will decoct or not. I was thinking about using about 40% rauchmalt, 10% pils, and 50% wheat, maybe subbing in a little Munich or melanodin malt to bump up the malt character if I don't decoct it.

Back