First experiment

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Heckle

Reaction score
I just brewed a Brewers Best Kolsch kit. Once the primary is done, I am going to transfer to one gallon jugs and try different flavors. Just looking for some advice or suggestions.

So, for my gallon secondary batches, here is what I am planning. The possible batches.

Batch 1: Going to steep one or two bags of Earl Grey tea.

Batch 2: Apricots or apricot extract (not sure how much yet).

Batch 3: 1/2 oz lemon zest and juice of one lemon.

Batch 4: Mango (wife's request).

Batch 5: Granny Smith apples. One or two peeled and diced.

How does that all sound. Has anyone tried any of these out with positive results?

Kolsch, IMO, is a fairly clean beer. I suspect they will all turn out well. The only ones I have doubts on are the tea and the apples.

I think the tea might be difficult to balance between too much and too little. The granny smith apples, green apple flavor is generally considered an off flavor from too warm a fermentation. But I say try it anyway.

Oh, and I think you'll like the results of using fruit over fruit flavor extract. Just remember to skin and destone before you add them.

I may change out the granny smith apples for some dissolved apple candies. The additional sugars should lead to an additional fermentation but hopefully leave the flavor behind.

I sent an e-mail to the guys at Basic Brewing Radio offering to send them my results. Either way, this will be an exciting experiment for me and will provide some insight to some future plans I have.

I sent an e-mail to the guys at Basic Brewing Radio offering to send them my results. Either way, this will be an exciting experiment for me and will provide some insight to some future plans I have.

I bet you get on the "air."

Have you thought about using Woodruff syrup instead of green apple candy? It might compliment the Kolsch character a bit more?

Back