Got a lager kit but no way to bring the temp down.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blando

Reaction score
New guy here and I'm hoping to get some advice on what to do with a beer I have in my fermenter as I type.

I got a Brewers Best Maibock kit as a gift. Problem is I have never lagered a beer before, pretty much sticking to ales.

According to the directions http://www.brewersbestkits.com/pdf/1060_Maibock.pdf after a couple of weeks in the fermenter I'm supposed to start taking the temperature down a degree a day until it gets to 34 degrees. Well I can't make that happen.

It was all I could do to find a spot where the fermentation would take place at 68 degrees.

The instructions say that the yeast can be used as an ale yeast at higher temperatures but to let it ferment for "an additional time" before moving to a secondary fermenter.

The beer has been in the main fermenter now for just over three weeks. As of 5 days ago I wasn't getting to the FG that i am expecting, not really even close. Don't know if it is stuck or if I should just wait some more. i've read here never move to the secondary until the fermentation is done.

Any and all suggestions would be appreciated.

If I could, would putting the fermenter straight into the refrigerator at 35 degrees be ok, or does it only work gradually.

Yes, I'm pretty new at this. I've made 5 batches so far, 3 pretty good, one not fit for the drain and now this enigma wrapped in a riddle sitting in my fermenter.

Thanks again for your help/advice.

it sounds like you have waited long enough. what was your OG? what is your current SG? what was your target FG? what was the recipe? have you taken two SG readings at least 3 days apart that are exactly the same?

Back