bayou classic burnt paint

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

excaptn

Reaction score
I am not sure If I got a fake produce, or if this is what is expected of the product. I bought a bayou classic sp10 high pressure cooker of CL for 20 bucks. I fired it up tonight for my first 5 gallon batch and had a good deal of smoke and bad fumes for the first 20-30 minutes. After I racked and cleaning my kettle I noticed that any of the paint on the cooker that was in contact with the flame bad burnt off down to the raw metal and all that was left was a white powder...Burt paint... I am not sure. Is this typical of the bayou classic? Seems to me they would have used a fire proof paint... any thoughts?

You are good. Everyone has said the same thing. Burnt paint and fumes. Afterwards everything is good. I am getting one in a week and will take it to an open space to break it in. You are fine, as I have read/researched.

~Diz

It would make sense to use high temp paint, but they don't. I have the sp10 and it works great, just burn the paint off before your first brew, I had an old pot that I filled up and put on it, seems to concentrate the heat and speed the process up.

If I remember correctly, the info on NB or AHB says right there that the paint will burn off. My questions is: (not to thread steal or anything) is the bayou burner any better then my turkey fryer I have been using?

If I remember correctly, the info on NB or AHB says right there that the paint will burn off. My questions is: (not to thread steal or anything) is the bayou burner any better then my turkey fryer I have been using?

Thread stealer! This is my first burner, seemed to work pretty well except for the burning paint fumes. This was my first full boil, I was using the kitchen stove and 2.5 gallon batches and I cut off about an hour off my brew day.

Why does bayou even paint the burner, there cust. service department must get calls like this all the time. I would rather if they didn't paint it at all and included a coupon for an acceptable paint product. Oh well.

Yeah, same with ours. Once it burns off it's no problem.

The bayou burner pretty much is a turkey fryer. Depends on what you have...

Would anyone suggest getting some high temp paint to cover up the exposed metal, or am I wasting my time 'cause that will burn off just as fast?

Would anyone suggest getting some high temp paint to cover up the exposed metal, or am I wasting my time 'cause that will burn off just as fast?

Even with high pemp paint, it will burn off eventually. IMO, it is fine the way it is and I wouldn't lose any sleep over it :)

Yes. Your turkey fryer is a pile of ****. ;)

What? I don't even know you, let alone what sort of burner you have! My SP10 seems to get my water hot faster than my Brinkman burner. But really, both get the job done.

Back