Ginger Dressing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SpanishCastleAle

Reaction score
The only place I ever seem to get good Ginger Dressing is at Japanese restaurants. I've tried some store bought versions that varied from 'a pathetic attempt' to 'not bad but not awesome' but none of them are nearly as good as the good Japanese places.

Anybody know how to make the real good stuff? Looks like it's mostly finely minced onions, sesame oil, some sort of vinegar...and ginger. Oh and some honey/sugar...the store bought stuff is usually either way too sweet or no sweetness at all.

Thanks.

LMGTFY

[ame=http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=japanese+ginger+dressing+recipe&btnG=Google+Search&aq=f&oq=]japanese ginger dressing recipe - Google Search[/ame]

I'll take a wild guess that that means: Let Me Google That For You.

Of course I tried that...and I've tried some recipes from most of those cooking sites. TOTALLY hit or miss. Seems any jabroni can put their recipe on there.

TFN.

****, I can't remember the brand but as I recall it was the name of a Japanese Restaurant so I thought it would be good. It is in the refrigerated dressing case of the produce section. They have a Ginger and a Honey Ginger...not sweet enough and too sweet respectively. I tried mixing them but it still wasn't right...too sesame-y.

Dammit...I'll be trying to remember that brand name all day.:D

+100 on the Makoto. It's not distributed around here in Cleveland, OH, but my father is a pilot and travels to Florida on a weekly basis. His job is to bring home 1-2 bottles for me each week. Makoto is the best ginger dressing I have found to date. If anyone has eaten at Benihana's, this stuff is VERY similar to that found at Benihana's. Look for it at your grocery store. If you can find it, I promise you won't be disappointed. :ban:

rsmith,
Well that's why the thread...I was disappointed. It seemed like too heavy on the sesame.

Perhaps it's cuz I haven't had a full carafe of Sake when I eat it at home?;)

'Scuse me whilst I play CPT Obvious for a minute; but have you ever asked the chef at the Japanese restaurant for the recipe? I've actually gotten recipes from chefs/cooks at restaurants before just by asking them. Otherwise you might try starting with one of the store bought brands & adding a bit of this & a bit of that till you get it to where you want it. Maybe try layering your ginger flavour by using dried/powdered ginger in addition to the fresh? Maybe add a wee bit of lemon or orange zest? A hint of mint might work or maybe some other herb/spice that isn't obvious by it's presence, but would be by it's absence; kind of like how vanilla makes chocolate more chocolatey. Sorry I couldn't be of more help, but that's all I got. Regards, GF.

Back