If a saison's been in primary 3 weeks, should I go to secondary or just bottle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rockout

Reaction score
I'm sorry for this being a bit of a repeat but I think I may have posted it in the wrong forum at first. In any case, not getting any answers.

I put the wort into primary July 20th - and then had to go on a long road trip for work that started a few days after and didn't get back till yesterday. Before I left, fermentation was some of the most active I've ever seen (going by the bubbles in the airlock) and it slowed down some but was still going when I left.

Of course, now it's been over three weeks in primary. It's not bubbling at all anymore and I have yet to take a hydrometer reading. One helpful gent when I was preparing this brew told me he usually didn't go to a secondary with a Saison, others disagreed. What should I do at this point?

It's not bubbling at all anymore and I have yet to take a hydrometer reading.

Take a reading and consider keeping it on the yeast until it stops or reaches it's target gravity. Most folks want their saison dry, let it do its thing in the primary. Fwiw, I waited until mine went below 1.010 then threw it in the secondary, cold crash for two weeks at 35.

I agree with brewt00l. If you used the Saison strain from Wyeast (the regular one, not sure about the others but I think I recall some forum members reporting the same thing with other Saison strains) it has a tendency to stall out around 1.035. If you search for 3724, you'll see threads about it. I had this happen, just like it said and the whoosh, it dropped real fast one day. So definitely take a reading.

Fwiw, I waited until mine went below 1.010 then threw it in the secondary, cold crash for two weeks at 35.

Sorry for my ignorance, but do you mean you racked to secondary and immediately went to 35 with it? or was that cold crashing after some (how much?) time in the secondary?

In any case, thanks for the advice, guys.

Sorry for my ignorance, but do you mean you racked to secondary and immediately went to 35 with it? or was that cold crashing after some (how much?) time in the secondary?

In any case, thanks for the advice, guys.

I used WLP565 and it sat in the primary in the mid to upper 80s for 14 days until it dropped below 1.010. I transferred it to the secondary and let it cool off a bit over a day then into the fridge @ 35. After it sat in the fridge for another week or so, I warmed it up to room temp before bottling.

The key from my pov was keeping it in the primary and keeping the temp up to encourage full attenuation before any transfer. The secondary was just coming in and batting cleanup.

Just curious, but after you bottle, do you then immediately put the bottles back into the fridge? or do you let the carbonation happen at room temp ?

Back