Remember those stir paddles that aerate your wort?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kayos

Reaction score
Anyone use the paint stirrer type method for aerating your wort? I used to see them with the foldable wings to get into the carboy, but can't find them anymore. Maybe I could use the paint ones before I put the wort into the carboy. Hmmmmmmm

If they are submerged they won't aerate the wort. For that, they would have to be at the surface. Their intended purpose is wine degassing with limited aeration.

mew said:
If they are submerged they won't aerate the wort. For that, they would have to be at the surface. Their intended purpose is wine degassing with limited aeration.

I use one and it works great. Once you start agitating at a fairly high speed the wort it will begin to whirlpool, then just use an up and down motion going from the top of the wort to the bottom and this will draw the air into the wort.

They are usually referred to as a lees stirrer or a wine degasser as they are usually sold to home wine makers. I have one I use for mixing mead and degassing wine but I havn't found it all that useful for aerating wort. In order to get a decent aeration I end up splashing way to much creating a big mess.

My aeration technique is to use a pitcher and pour the wort back into the bucket from a fair height. This seems to force a fair amount of air into the wort.

Craig

I used to use one of these, but you have to use it in the pot because they don't fit into carboys. I just stuck it into my drill and let it rip...

164-squirrel.jpg

Back