wanted: tips for convincing SWMBO to let me invest in All-grain equipment

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Harrydan

Reaction score
This is just for fun... but who knows. Maybe we can come up with some winners and we all can make the leap to all-grain without having to sleep in the garage with our new setup!

Let her know you will buy bulk ingredients that will cost less than extract and that you will eventually repay the equipment (even if it takes years).

but why bother? Tell her it makes you happy, whatever makes you happy should make her happy! Plus YOU will pay for it.

She should be glad you have such a safe and interesting hobby ! Most guys I know spend evenings playing WoW and whatnot.

I hope it works out for you ! You will never regret going AG even if you initially had to sleep in the garage for a few days.. it will be worth it !

Cheers !!

Tell her that all-grain is more economical so you're not spending money but saving in the long run, kind of like when she holds up bags of new clothes and says "you would'nt believe how much money I just saved".

For the first few years that I was married, if I wanted a new toy or spend money on something, I would inflate the price greatly when I first presented it to her. A after working on her for a while, I would tell her the real price and she would be so relieved that she would readily agree. Worked for quite a while, but after 27 years now she just asks,"ok, how much does it really cost?". Might work!

How bout the fact that you have testicles, and don't need to convince anyone or ask permission. You can and should discuss it...but neither of you needs to ask each other if you can have a hobby. Especially if you're not looking to drop 5 grand on herms system, but just about 150.00 or less on a cooler and a couple more items you don't have already. ;)

Tell her if you can go to all-grain, you don't want to brew anymore and will start going to a bar to get your craft beer..Have her pick one, homebrew or Bar brew...Revvy's right..For a few hundred bucks is all you need to go to all grain..No big deal..

How bout the fact that you have testicles, and don't need to convince anyone or ask permission. You can and should discuss it...but neither of you needs to ask each other if you can have a hobby. Especially if you're not looking to drop 5 grand on herms system, but just about 150.00 or less on a cooler and a couple more items you don't have already. ;)

Only if he wants to keep'em :D

No kidding. I put off all grain and asked for most of the gear for Christmas this past year, but my wife has been supportive of me having a hobby. I don't complain when she goes shopping, there's no reason for her to complain about me picking up an affordable piece of brew gear.

Not claiming we're perfect (who is?), but mutual respect and neither of us trying to get something over on the other person really goes a long way.

Footnote: married seventeen years.

Just do what I'm doing, and build in pieces. Really, if you have a big enough pot, the only piece of equipment you need to move to all-grain is a mash tun. If you can find a cheap used cooler on craigslist you can build one from stuff you can buy at the hardware store. I built one for about thirty bucks, including the $10 for the cooler. After that you can decide whether you NEED a stir plate, wort chiller, fermentation chamber, etc...

It will taste better...once I dial in the process. This could, of course lead to further expenditures and an unrealistic intrusion into our available living/storage space. But Honey, I feel I am on the verge of greatness here. Behind every great man there is a great woman. That's all I'm asking you to do. Be a great woman!

but why bother? Tell her it makes you happy, whatever makes you happy should make her happy! Plus YOU will pay for it.

She should be glad you have such a safe and interesting hobby! Cheers !!

What fantasy world do you live in? I would get reamed just for reading that if I was caught!

Haha true.. but like beaksnbeer said.. i need to keep them. I have to at least try to get her on the board before I just tell her I'm doing this...We have three boys.. precious little if any extra money ever gets spent on ourselves. She is relatively supportive of my hobby, though she rolls her eyes everytime she looks at the computer and sees Beersmith or HBT. I've tried to get her involved a bit but she drinks Miller-lite. :eek: What can i say I love her anyway. I tried the cheaper in the long run route, but I still get the stink eye. DIY is definitely the route I want to go money/fun-wise.

It will taste better...once I dial in the process. This could, of course lead to further expenditures and an unrealistic intrusion into our available living/storage space. But Honey, I feel I am on the verge of greatness here. Behind every great man there is a great woman. That's all I'm asking you to do. Be a great woman!

And the heavens have opened and Hoppity has spoken HIS words...:rockin:

You should discuss things with her but not ask "permission". I asked my parents for permission to do things when I was kid and I certainly don't ask my wife for her permission to do stuff. I discuss with her and I usually want her to agree, and if she disagrees then maybe I need to re-evaluate if it's worth it.

Seriously what is there to ask permission for? Do you need to ask permission to buy a 10G rubbermaid cooler or an immersion chiller? Because that's essentially all the equipment that you'll need to go all grain. You should be able to get all that together for < $100.

Hoppity said:

[slow clap] POTD! Winner! Stop the internets for the rest of the day.

Tell her that by going all grain, it will take you twice as long to brew a batch on brew day, so she'll have more time without you in her hair. Tell her you can also get your boys involved in by helping you out. She gets alone time and you get some new toys. Win-win.

:D

Black said:
Let her know you will buy bulk ingredients that will cost less than extract and that you will eventually repay the equipment (even if it takes years).
I think a wife would hear this and know that it means several 50 pound bags of grain sitting around the house. They're smart like that. I might not mention the "bulk" word.

I think the magic words might be "it'll get me out of the kitchen."

If you're having to ask permission to buy a couple hundred bucks worth of brewing equipment then you obviously haven't had expensive enough hobbies in the past.

The cost of brew equipment is a drop in the bucket compaired to most cool hobbies.

If you're having to ask permission to buy a couple hundred bucks worth of brewing equipment then you obviously haven't had expensive enough hobbies in the past.

The cost of brew equipment is a drop in the bucket compaired to most cool hobbies.

Brilliant! Take her to a boat show and then ask her on the way home.

Don't knock it until you've tried it. I can sleep in my chair for a few hours while she watches. I never tried to snuggle with her up on her stand yet though. She just sits there and admires me as I do her.

This is a way of looking at it that I had not considered. No matter how hot SWMBO gets she can't maintain 155° for 60 min!

This is why I had a new 5 cubic foot fermentation chamber delivered and set up in my basement this morning.

Go bang the hot neighbor or the neighbor's daughter until you get caught. Then after the divorce settles you should have time to work on all of the cool builds in the DIY sections and get your all grain stuff.

You should also have space now for the bulk storage.

PS, military wives are lonely.

my only tip is to not "obey" her and be a man.
you work. if its not got break the family budget do what you want.
wait i lied, my other tip is stop using the term SWMBO and start being a man instead.
good day.

Back