Flying to Boston

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lonek

Reaction score
I'm flying into Boston tomorrow and was wondering if people could point me to the good brew houses?

Boston Beer Works is really good - there's one right next to Fenway Park and one in North Boston by the Fleet Center. John Harvard's brewhouse is okay in Cambridge Square.

Where are you staying?
I agree about Boston Beer Works, I always go to the one on Canal St., right near north station. It's near the Banknorth Garden, and also not too far from the North End if you want to get some great italian food for dinner.
If you're closer to Allston you could go to Sunset Grill - they have a humongous selection of drafts and bottles, none that they make themselves but it's a great place and the pub grub is pretty good, too.
If you're down near the Prudential, I strongly recommend TC's Lounge. It's on Haviland Street. To find it, follow Boyleston Street to Mass Ave. Then turn on mass ave toward Berklee School of music. Haviland is a side street on the right, between the Dunkin Donuts and the Starbucks. TC's is just down from the corner, yellow sign. This is a place I've been going to since about 1990, and recently has been voted Boston's best dive bar. Cash only, so be prepared, but drinks are cheap, and you can head out to the other bars on Boyleston after you have a few cold ones at TC's.
Enjoy Boston! It's the best -- I lived away for about 14 years but moved back last summer and kind of wishing we never left!

My wife is going up for business for a week and I'm tagging along and I'm going to try to keep a buzz the whole time. I think we're staying at the Sheraton. Thanks for the info!

Sheraton and Hilton are near the Prudential -- so near you there's a ton of bars on Boyleston St. TC's is a good place to start. If you get over to the Quincy Market area, near government center, take a walk down to the waterfront. Walk down from the Marriot Longwharf, keeping the water to your right. Theres a great bar and restaurant called the Sail Loft -- go there with your wife. They have a nice outdoor deck facing the water, actually faces a marina, it's a pretty nice place to hang out or step out for a smoke.
Be sure to get some Italian pastry from Mikes or Modern in the North End, and then get a cappucino at Cafe Vittoria (best cappucino ever, don't get it to go - try to get a table on the sidewalk).
Enjoy the trip!

I second Sunset Grille, I used to live down the street from there, I think they have 150 beers on tap or so. And you can always put down a yard glass of Guinness.

If you go with the Sunset Grille, stick with the beers on tap, or stick with the less obscure bottles in the bottle selection. I have been there on more then one occasion were they gave me some down-right nasty bottles that had to be returned.

Supposedly there is a good new beer bar in Kenmore Square owned by the folks that own Bukowski's (another good beer bar on Dalton St. right near Boylston and Mass Ave.). Not sure what the new joint is called.

Man, I have not been in the beer works in at least half a decade

I heard that they put some ugly, monstrosity of a Chik-Fil-A in Kenmore Square. Somebody please think of the children!

You all are making me plan a trip to Boston. It is one city I have always wanted to visit, but never have. Though I am a die hard Pittsburgh sports fan I have always cheered for the Red Sox in the AL and I can't even find it in my heart to hate the Pats like fellow Steeler fans do because they are such a class act. I have vowed about a year and a half ago to eventually visit every major league ball park, and so far I have seen five. Fenway is not one of them, but neither is Yankee or Shea, so next summer the trip has to be to the big rotton apple because they are tearing both of those parks down. After that though it will be Boston and Fenway can't wait for that.

The bar in Kenmore that is owned by the same owner as Bukowski's is called The Lower Depths and it is fairly good. I've been there quite a few times. Usually 12 beers on tap plus about 80-90 beers in bottles.

If you're looking for another decent brewpub, the Cambridge Brewing Company is in Kenmore Square in Cambridge. They always have a few decent beers on tap, plus you can pick up growlers for about $12.

Back