Bad yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wegz15

Reaction score
So I made the following recipe...

Summer Citrus Wheat
6-D American Wheat or Rye Beer

Size: 5.5 gal
Efficiency: 75.0%
Attenuation: 75.0%
Calories: 300.69 kcal per 22.0 fl oz

Original Gravity: 1.049 (1.040 - 1.055)
|=================#==============|
Terminal Gravity: 1.012 (1.008 - 1.013)
|=====================#==========|
Color: 4.07 (3.0 - 6.0)
|=============#==================|
Alcohol: 4.85% (4.0% - 5.5%)
|=================#==============|
Bitterness: 19.0 (15.0 - 30.0)
|============#===================|

Ingredients:
0.55 oz Cascade (5.5%) - added during boil, boiled 60.0 min
0.55 oz Cascade (5.5%) - added during boil, boiled 15.0 min
1.0 oz Cascade (5.5%) - added during boil, boiled 5.0 min
1.0 lb Rice Hulls
6.0 lb White Wheat Malt
4.0 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US
1.0 oz Orange Peel, Bitter - added during boil, boiled 5.0 min
1.0 oz Orange Peel, Sweet - added during boil, boiled 5.0 min
1.0 ea Wyeast Labs 1010 American Wheat Ale

My OG was 1.048. When I went to switch to a secondary about 2 weeks after primary my SG was about 1.028. I can't remember... I didn't right it down because I was mad.

I bought all of the ingredients and brewing go delayed... by a couple of months.... I made a starter and it didn't seem to have much yeast floating around, but I used it anyway.

Do you think I would be able to just add a new smack pack and save the beer? I tried stirring it when I was going to rack it and nothing happened. I keep the beer in my basement but the temps don't fall too low. At least when I have checked them. Maybe over nights it gets too cold?

I have brewed this recipe before without any problems. I also haven't changed anything in the way I brew. The only variable was the older yeast. Any help would be appreciated.

So you saw that fermentation wasn't complete and still racked it to the secondary? I'll never know why people do that. Secondaries are for aging (maybe clearing, but that can be argued), dry hopping and souring. You should never rack a beer to the secondary if you think that it is not done fermenting.

That being said, adding a large amount of fresh yeast should un-stick your stuck fermentation.

I never racked to secondary. I was going to, took a reading and saw it wasn't finished fermenting. I stirred it up to resuspend yeast and left it in the primary. No action on airlock.

Back