Columbus and Simcoe IPA recipe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mattldm

Reaction score
Im thinking of doing a simple IPA with Columbus and simcoe hops. Anyone like or dislike this combination?
I usually use Centennial, Amarillo, and cascade in my beers, and wanted to try something different.

5.25 gallons
1.067 OG
7.5 SRM
75 IBU's

Cali Ale yeast 001 from a local brewery

12 lbs. GW 2-row
3/4 lb. Crystal 40
1/2 lb. wheat

1.1 ounce Columbus, 60 min
.7 oz simcoe, 15 min
.5 oz Columbus, 15 min
.7 oz simcoe, 0 min
.7 oz Columbus, 0 min
1 oz Columbus Dry Hop 7 days
.5 oz Simcoe Dry Hop 7 days

Let me know what you think!

Looks good to me. I'd think the earthy and spicy notes of the Columbus should go well with the pine/citrus in Simcoe. I haven't used Columbus as a dryhop before, but I see no reason why it wouldn't work!

That looks great. The Columbus is nice for dry hopping, it is very resinous.

Looks good to me. I'd think the earthy and spicy notes of the Columbus should go well with the pine/citrus in Simcoe. I haven't used Columbus as a dryhop before, but I see no reason why it wouldn't work!

You just described exactly what I was going for... Eatrhy spice, with some pine and citrus!

They're fantastic together. Nice move using yeast from your local, I always get a better result when my local brewery gives me a jar of super-hungry yeast.

They're fantastic together. Nice move using yeast from your local, I always get a better result when my local brewery gives me a jar of super-hungry yeast.

Brewery yeast is the best! Its almost 100% viable, I get tons of it, and the best part is, its free!
They pull the yeast right off the cone of the fermenters for me, its alive and kicking! Last batch I did I had activity in the carboy in less than 2 hours.

Im brewing my house pale ale tomorrow with yeast im getting from them today!

Its a great combination... I think Green Flash West Coast IPA is mainly Columbus and Simcoe and thats a great beer

Back