Some Yeast Questions, generic overall

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrMikeAZ

Reaction score
I have been trying to use the search but the search is not too good here.

Basically, I want to know what is Yeast strain. And besides not enough yeast for the pitch, what else can cause this. And what is this exactly?

And if I did not use enough yeast on my initial pitch 48 hours ago, what would happen if I added another packet of yeast? o.g. was 1.082 and pitched only one packet of wyeast oktoberfest lager yeast for my doppelbock.

Where can I find some info about yeast dealing with what happens at diff temps, in depth life cycle info and all sorts of things? I guess I am asking for a good book or something to really increase my yeast knowledge.

use the power of the internet to do your research. you can read all of palmers how to brew online and there is all sorts of brewing information available. I dont see a need for a book, unless of course you don't like computers.

That's one problem I have. Stained yeast or Yeast strain(ed) does not bring up info about that, but different strands and straining yeast from another substance.

Is there another term I should look up? I don't understand this topic and I can't find info on it.

Stressed Yeast will net you a lot of results, for a Lager you need a LOT of yeast. I'd venture to wager that if you have a lager at 1.082 OG you'll need around 4-5 vials or smack packs of yeast, or the equivalent starter. Not to mention that a lager needs fermentation temps in the low-mid 50's, then you need to lager it in the 30's. Do you have a way to control your fermentation temps?

Wyeast's site will have good info. Much of the info on individual strains are copied from there anyway. One thing to look up is the optimum fermentation temp. for the yeast you used.

With high gravity brews (all brews actually), aeration is more important than amount pitched (as long as you pitch a decent minimum amount). Did you aerate well? I know most sources say not to aerate (shake the fermenter) after pitching, but on big beers, I think people do aerate for up to two days. That might be something else to search for. I agree the search on the site is not great. I get much better results searching through Google's site. HomeBrewTalk threads are usually high on their results. The "Like Threads" on the bottom of the page is also helpful once you find a thread discussing your problem.

I have a fridge and a temp regulator for the lager temps. That is no problem. I trusted my brew store when I showed them the recipe from the book(complete joy of home brewing, vol 3, pg 233 Doppelbock) and I mentioned starters, they said I don't need it as yeast is so fresh, and starters were more for old yeast.

I followed the books and my LHBS suggestions/instructions for my brew. I later read the forums and came across the contradictory info and that is why I am here trying to figure this stuff out to help my current brew and future brews.

Ok! I have used google to search this site to get more informed about strained yeast. It fails. I only get mention of the yeast being strained like it is in this thread, not specific info about it.

No info on what different things cause it other than not enough yeast cells for the specified o.g. I want to know things like what part of the high o.g. causes yeast to become strained. Does temp affect the straining or reduce straining? What, besides off flavors, can happen to the beer or yeast? Can yeast become "unstrained" after it is strained? Can you test for yeast strain or how would you confirm that it is strained? Can you, or should you reuse the yeast in cakes or whatever if it was strained?

<edit>
These are the kinds of questions I have that I want to find the info for. These are the things I cannot seem to find. Right now, from what the searches have turned up, its more like this myth that people just regurgitate with no science behind it. Now I am sure this is not the case, but I can't find info about this. Could someone please help me in finding this info. It is really starting to frustrate me. I am wanting to learn but the info is just not there.
</edit>

A strain is just a way of saying "type" of yeast. It's not a process or a final result. It is what type of yeast you used. Is this what you mean? Or do you mean yeast stress? There is a difference.

Stressed yeast....Gotcha, I missed that at first. I will try that and let you guys know if I need more info. Thanks.

Back