Low long can you bulk age a mead?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

volvodude

Reaction score
Assuming I am willing to tie up a carboy for potentially years, how long can you leave a mead to bulk age? Is that even wise, or should you bottle after say a year of bulk ageing? I want to make a mead to celebrate the birth of a first grandchild. My daughter will be marrying in a few months, so I don't expect a grandchild for probably a good two to four years. I figure it will be fully mature though by the time that does happen. By the way, I do have the patience to pull this off.

ok when you guys say topped up do you mean literally topped up? Like as in an inch from the stopper?

sorry not trying to hi-jack!

cool thanks.........should I top that full while its sittin on apples and cinnamon as well? Or wait till I rack it the next time? how long before i rack off the apples etc?

cool thanks.........should I top that full while its sittin on apples and cinnamon as well? Or wait till I rack it the next time? how long before i rack off the apples etc?

That, I couldn't say. I've never added fruit to a finished mead. I usually leave fruit 5 days in wines, though.

Assuming I am willing to tie up a carboy for potentially years, how long can you leave a mead to bulk age? Is that even wise, or should you bottle after say a year of bulk ageing? I want to make a mead to celebrate the birth of a first grandchild. My daughter will be marrying in a few months, so I don't expect a grandchild for probably a good two to four years. I figure it will be fully mature though by the time that does happen. By the way, I do have the patience to pull this off.

I've got a couple meads & cysers that have been bulk aging for about 4 years now, I have a wee taste at least once a year to see how they're progressing. They're pretty high ABV, so it's going to take a while for them to be good. Just rack/sulfite as needed & follow Yooper's advice, you should be good to go. Regards, GF.

The oldest thing I've got in bulk is a bit over 2 years, but I have some batches that currently aging with a plan for at least 5. The revered Brother Adam felt like 5 years was a minimum, and for sack strength meads felt they needed at least 7 years of barrel aging.

Back