True Brew All Malt Pilsner Recipe Modification

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

excaptn

Reaction score
I have been using the true brew extract kits, boiling 1-1 1/2 gallons and following the recipe from there. I now have a large pot 8 gallons and a wort chiller to hopefully eliminate the need to add water at the end of the boil to reach the recommended 5 gallons. Do I need to change the recipe because I am (hopefully) not going to be adding water to the wort? Is there anything else that I am not considering?

I have always heard it is best to boild as much as you can without making a mess (boil over). If you have an 8 gallon pot, you shouls not have any problems with boiling 5. However, I would start off with 5 1/2 because you will definitely lose some. The only downfall to boiling the entire batch is the time it takes to get it going.

Thank you, I will definitaly start with at least 5.5 gallons. Do I need to adjust the amount of hops or am I good to go?

Thank you, I will definitaly start with at least 5.5 gallons. Do I need to adjust the amount of hops or am I good to go?

You could knock down the bittering hops by 10-20%, or does this use hopped extract and actual hops near the end? Don't reduce finsihing hop additions.

You might want to run it through any one of the various recipe-building software packages that are out there. I'd suggest BeerTools.com, but thats just one example. You should be able to see if a reduced hops bill is called for. In any event, I agree with McGarnigle on the finishing hops.

You should get slightly higher hop utilization with the full boil. I'd start by knocking down the bittering hops by 10% and adjust from there on subsequent brews.

As stated you will get better utilization out of the hops, the IBU stated in the kit are most likely calculated using the recommended 1.5 gallon boil volume, so boiling more will up the IBU some. If you want even better utilization, you can also add a portion of the extract in the beginning of the boil and a portion of it in the last 20 mins. This will keep the gravity low during the bittering addition and get you more out of the hops. There's a thread around here with some great tips for extract brewing too. I'll post a link if I find it.

OP you might want to check this out:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f37/10-tips-better-extract-brewing-100861/

Back