Scandanavian Beer Recipe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bmbox12

Reaction score
I have a Norwegian friend, who takes a lot of crap from us Germans, was wondering if there was an extract recipe that would be considered Scandanavian. Was thinking of brewing one up for him. Any thoughts or suggestions?

What about that stuff they serve during Yule? Juleol, I think?

Or there's Sahti... but that's Finnish and depending on how strict your definition is, it may not qualify as Scandanavian.

I may have to try a Gruit as well. My dad's side of the family is all Norwegian and I have been getting more interested in my heritage. It would be fun to do a traditional brew.

Some of the recipes in that link sound like they would be great for Christmas time. A nice dark ale with spruce character sounds appealing.

Speaking of Scandinavian beer, recently found out the city I was born in (Orebro, Sweden) is known for Stormaktsporter, which supposedly is extremely rare and highly rated. Anyone ever hear of it or have a chance to taste it?

Speaking of Scandinavian beer, recently found out the city I was born in (Orebro, Sweden) is known for Stormaktsporter, which supposedly is extremely rare and highly rated. Anyone ever hear of it or have a chance to taste it?
It's pretty hard to get, but a local pub owner told me he would serve it to people who hadn't tried it before. Thinking about splitting a bottle with a beer geek friend of mine next time he's in town.

Living in Norway i must disillusion some of you i fear....

The Christmas beers ( JULØL) are basically a version of the normal pilsner and unless you go to get a really strong one from the state owned offlicence they all taste about the same. I think they just dump in some chocolate malt for the colour.

There is a norwegian brewery that actually have their grain recipies online though so i'll dig around and see if i can find it.

Otherwise you may want to try google and search for HANSA; DAHLS,GRANS,RIGNES,TAU etc ( these are all brewery names and they mght have something there for you.

hope that helps.
Dave

I just ran across this web page. It has some nice links

Try_Scandinavias_new_wave_of_microbrews

I went to one of the Norwegian links and it has some neat stuff including

This is a picture of our yeast stick, this
is a true copy of an historic yeast stick
similar to what they used in the old
days to keep yeast in the farmhouse
breweries. The stick is full of large
holes were the yeast can collect. The
stick was rolled in the yeast cake after