connecting CO2 to 2 L bottle for root beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wilbanba

Reaction score
anyone done this successfully?
how did you connect?
i have a DIY carbonater cap and not sure if 30 psi will destroy the 2L bottle
also unsure about tire stem valve/not
thanks

30psi will be fine. Keep shaking it as it carbs and you will be good to go in about a minute or two.

Make sure the beverage is cold before you try to carb it, or else it won't hold as much CO2.

I wouldn't use a 2L bottle indefinitely like this, but so far, I've used one about a half dozen times and it isn't looking funky yet, so I keep reusing it.

Yes, me too. I've used a 2 L soda bottle for both root beer and ginger ale, and followed the directions on the carbonator cap package. It worked great!

great thanks for the tip
how long do you leave it connected to the 30 psi?
do you use a commercial cap or a DIY vefrsion?
if the latter, do you take the valve out of the stem or do you have a different air fitting that holds it open?
thanks much

great thanks for the tip
how long do you leave it connected to the 30 psi?
do you use a commercial cap or a DIY vefrsion?
if the latter, do you take the valve out of the stem or do you have a different air fitting that holds it open?
thanks much

I leave it connected for about a minute or two and shake vigorously. It's cool. You can actually feel the CO2 getting absorbed. The water makes this metallic-like rushing sound. It's weird. Anyway, shake it good to absorb the CO2 and you're done. No need to keep it on the gas for a long time.

I have a DIY version. didn't use a bicycle valve. I used a simple barbed fitting. After the minute or two of carbing, I swap the cap with the fitting for a normal cap.

could someone post a link to making a DIY carbonator? I have 2 commercial versions and want a couple more but they're 20 dollars at the lhbs!

+1 on 2L bottle holding 30 psi. The carbonator package says don't exceed 40, but 30 gives plenty of carbonation

Edit: found some links for anyone else interested:

http://www.brewboard.com/index.php?showtopic=47610

http://www.truetex.com/carbonation.htm

Sir Humpsalot, is the second one similar to your DIY?

I leave it connected for about a minute or two and shake vigorously. It's cool. You can actually feel the CO2 getting absorbed. The water makes this metallic-like rushing sound. It's weird. Anyway, shake it good to absorb the CO2 and you're done. No need to keep it on the gas for a long time.

I have a DIY version. didn't use a bicycle valve. I used a simple barbed fitting. After the minute or two of carbing, I swap the cap with the fitting for a normal cap.

Does it hold well or long after doing this? I've been wanting to buy a carbonator cap for making soda but the price is kinda steep. I'd like to make small batches for experimental sodas.

http://www.truetex.com/carbonation.htm

Sir Humpsalot, is the second one similar to your DIY?

The actual parts are different, but the concept is identical. I just scavenged around a bLowes or Home Despot or wherever and got a couple of fittings. Two pieces, plus the screw-top cap. I might go fancy with it at some point and add an O-ring to stop a slight hissing, but I haven't yet.

So yeah, it's really that simple.

As for how long the carbonation holds, I honestly don't know. I guess I've had it last a week or so, but I'm usually out of water before it goes flat. Either way, you can just recarbonate it, so going flat really isn't a big deal at all.

Latest posts

Back