Memorial Day Brewing Centennial/Amarillo Golden Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

janzik

Reaction score
Below is the original recipe from BeerTools. Half of that 6oz is Amarillo (it's all the LHBS would give me). I noticed 2 things, first the IBUs are out of style for a 6B Blonde Ale. I'm not too worried, because I like the hops, but I noticed that the recipe calls for a boil duration for 1.5 hours. I've never boiled for more than an hour, is this really necessary? Also should I do the hop schedule 2oz Cen, 1oz Cen 1oz Am and 2 oz Am? Or should I just dump everything in a bowl and give a random mix and pull 2oz out accordingly, for the hell of it?

Centennial Golden Ale (Blonde Ale) from BeerTools website
11 gal batch
16lb American 2 row
2lb American Vienna
1lb Rye
2oz Centennial 8.8% at 60 min
2oz Centennial 8.8% at 15 min
2oz Centennial 8.8% at 0 min (the recipe says at .25 min?)
WYeast 1056 American Ale
1.050 OG
1.011 FG
3.60 SRM
46 IBUs
5.1% ABV

Perhaps the extra 30 min. on the boil is for obtaining the proper target volume of 11 gallons? What's the sparge schedule look like?

When I plug your recipe into Beersmith I get 1.02 IBU/SG. Seems quite high for a Blonde style. What is the AAU% of the Amarillo you got.

That's actually more of an APA than a Blonde at those IBUs and late additions. A blonde would be more like a single 2oz addition at 60min. Nothing wrong with the recipe really, just requires a name change (Amarillo Pale Ale).

Right now I'm more concerned with making something that we like rather than being restrictive to style. It's good to know that in theory the recipe wont be a disaster (due to the high hop schedule). Oh, and it's freaking hot out here today...

Theres no Pils in that grain bill, so the boil for 90 is a little weird. If that was a recipe that I was going to do I would go for just the 60 min boil and keep a close eye on my water volumes. Good Luck, sounds good.

Thanks Gabe.. I was wondering about the whole 90 minute thing.. sounded odd to me.. I really need to pay more attention to the recipes before I go ahead and do them.. Everything should turn out fine though...

Any opinions on the hop mixing? I may just dump both 3oz bags of hops in a bowl and scoop them out in 2oz increments as per the schedule. Unfortuantely I didnt think to get the %'s on the Cent or the Am...

Latest posts

Back