Should you cover or not

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brew2

Reaction score
When getting your water to boil after steeping should you cover the pot?

Not only do I cover with a lid but I throw a towel over it to insulate it and keep it covered until just before it boils. Heats up faster and saves propane that way but once it boils off comes the lid

I too cover during steeping or partial mashing. Also wrap up in winter hunting coat during the steeping/mashing time to hold temp.

I'm doing it on the stovetop. I'm going to get a propane setup soon this takes for ever. But this is only my 3rd brew.

There is no reason not to have a lid on until the boil starts.

After that you want the lid off so DMS will escape. This becomes more important with all grain than extract since with extract much is already gone during the process of making the extract itself.

Covering during steeping or mashing is fine. but anytime you're using grains to make wort,keep the kettle uncovered. Using grains produces DMS that must steam away. But with AE,you don't have to worry about it.

Saturday, I was making the National Homebrew Day More Fun Belgian Blonde. Had the homebrewclub over, enjoyed a RIS and two Trappists while mashing / sparging. Gorgeous CO day, couldn't be a better brew day.

Left the lid on as usual while bringing the wort up to a boil. Talking about how wonderful the Trappists were, and bam- boilover.

The lid does help in bringing the wort to a boil faster, but especially when tipsy, the boil can come too fast. I wonder if there is a waterproof thermometer that has a temp warning at 195 degrees? Might be worth a few bucks.

The lid does help in bringing the wort to a boil faster, but especially when tipsy, the boil can come too fast. I wonder if there is a waterproof thermometer that has a temp warning at 195 degrees? Might be worth a few bucks.

Umm, just use a digital meat thermometer with extended probe. Set the alarm for 195 and toss the sensor into the pot...

Last edited by a moderator:
Back