Chillzilla counterflow chiller need adaptor for wort out to cam lock

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

strongarm

Reaction score
I just purchased the Chillzilla and desire to adapt the wort out to a 1/2" cam lock connection. None of the copper adapter pieces 1/4",3/8", 1/2" fit over that wort out pipe on the chiller....it seems to be an odd size. Any suggestions? The closest one was the 3/8" but it was a little too big. Also any way to integrate a thermomenter into the wort out setup?

Northern Brewer states that tubing is 1/2." A 1/2" adapter should fit. Try asking Northern Brewer. Maybe they can give some insight. If you do solder something on there be careful. You could end up messing up the solder on the reducing tee.

Your statement about the 3/8" adapter is vague. Is the tubing too big or is the fitting too big?

If you can figure out the tubing you could solder on a tee and use 2 adapters. One for a thermometer and one for a camlok fitting. You could also apply a fish tank thermometer sticker to the copper tubing.

Yes it is an odd size. What I did with mine was use a Swaging tool to expand the pipe to fit into a 3/8" copper fitting, then sweated on the fitting I wanted on .

I put a 3/8 slip x 1/2MPT on the input, and a 3/8 T with a 3/8 FPT and a 1/2MPT adapter on it for the output. I put a temp probe on the 3/8FPT port and a Tri-clap fitting on the output.

That swaging tool looks like it's exactly what I need. Going to pick that up tomorrow and get it to the appropriate size. Thanks for the tip!

That swaging tool looks like it's exactly what I need. Going to pick that up tomorrow and get it to the appropriate size. Thanks for the tip!

The ones at home depot or lowes are a one size fits all type tool. you will see when you get it, but you just put the tool in to the pipe to the point it fits into, then you hit it with a hammer till it stretches out to the next size up, wich is the next size pipe fitting.

go slow though and test as you go till you get a nice fit with the fitting you are trying to put on.

its super easy.

I used the home depo one size fits all tool. For some reason I still had issue and ended up using a coupler and doing some creative soldering. Works great with my dissconnect now.

I soldered a male adapter to mine.....just find the closest sweat fitting. It won't be exact, but you should be able to flow enough solder in there to seal it. The chiller is actually brazed, so you would have to really be way out of soldering heat range to do damage....a MAPP torch could cause problems if you're careless....but I doubt you'd be careless putting flame on a $200 chiller....lol :D

Back