Wife says no on Keezer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vrodbrad

Reaction score
So I asked the wife if I could turn the chest freezer into a keezer and she said hell no:mad:(. Well there goes that idea. I don't have the room to put one in at this point, and don't want to really bottle anymore. So I think for now I am going to get the tap a draft system. found a guy selling a fridge turned into a kegerator for 65 dollars here in klamath falls, OR, on craigslist, but like i said no room for that either dang it. but all well.:mug:

my girl originally frowned... So searching through Keezer projects I found one that closely matched our furniture & called her in to show it to her.

I said, "hey, babe... check out this guys shoe cabinet"

Once I heard her say, "oh that looks nice.... but are those beer fauc.."

I cut the ***** off and said 'oh, you likie? good, cause I'm building one, it's for beer, & its going in the kitchen'

:)

actually, I did show her one that matches our stuff pretty closely & she did like it. That gave me the ok to attempt a build and make room for one.

If space is an issue, you could perhaps find a wine cooler fridge - they come in a size that is bigger/taller than a mini fridge - and put a keg inside it with a picnic tap. I have one of those and it works well. It requires some space, but its much smaller than a keezer or regular kegerator.

That's why my stepdad built a shed and decked it out, since he moved into my mom's house haha. It's got everything. And then maybe she'll come around because she misses you haha :D (or secretly wants to control you)

I'd say a divorce is in order here. Get a good lawyer, though. You want to make sure you get that chest freezer in the settlement.

And during the proceedings, if she goes after the chest freezer... then you will know that it was never meant to be.

Easy solution. Say, "Sweetie, which would you rather have sitting in the living room when your parents come to visit?"

This?

KeezerTop.jpg

Or this?

kegmobile.jpg

"...because one of them will be."

Easy solution. Say, "Sweetie, which would you rather have sitting in the living room when your parents come to visit?"

This?

KeezerTop.jpg

Or this?

kegmobile.jpg

"...because one of them will be."

As practical the second solution is... in a deep south kind of way... I find it amusing that they installed the premium tap handle!

My wife (then fiance) helped me build my keezer. Her father is a machinist and taught her how to use tools. My father is a nurse so I did not learn. I drew up the designs, and she made all the cuts and measurements. Because we worked on the project together, it isn't my keezer or her keezer but our keezer. My wife didn't really support me moving into kegging until I started working on temperature control and yeast starters and the quality of my beer increased dramatically to the point where she was drinking it and giving it to her friends.

Find out why your wife doesn't want you to build the keezer - is she concerned with the cost, your beer, space, your consumption and eventual weight gain (it happens to everyone), or is she just being a spiteful witch? Find out if you can find a solution to it. If not, well it's your money too so you can build the keezer and then ask for forgiveness later.

My wife let me put mine right beside the kitchen table. I don't even have to get out of my seat for a refill!

I don't know where you are, but right now I have 4 kegs chilling outside on a 3rd floor deck with a tarp over them. It doesn't get cold enough here to freeze them so outside is a great option for the winter. I have a little bar fridge that fits one keg but I always have a few full kegs that I have to store at ambient temps. In the summer you can either drink it warm or fill up a growler and put it in the freezer for a half hour. Its not as good as a keezer but better than bottling.

I got a very old kegerator (off craigslist) and rebuilt it, it was suppose to go into a back room out of sight, but once I re-finished the oak top, and changed out the crusty old chrome 2 tap tower for a all Brass 3 tap tower and showed it to her, she said thats to nice to put in the back room, its now in the dining room, sometimes they just need to see it.

Cheers :mug:

So I asked the wife if I could turn the chest freezer into a keezer and she said hell no:mad:(. Well there goes that idea. I don't have the room to put one in at this point, and don't want to really bottle anymore. So I think for now I am going to get the tap a draft system. found a guy selling a fridge turned into a kegerator for 65 dollars here in klamath falls, OR, on craigslist, but like i said no room for that either dang it. but all well.:mug:
Never ask for permission. Do it then ask for forgiveness.:ban:

I don't know where you are, but right now I have 4 kegs chilling outside on a 3rd floor deck with a tarp over them. It doesn't get cold enough here to freeze them so outside is a great option for the winter. I have a little bar fridge that fits one keg but I always have a few full kegs that I have to store at ambient temps. In the summer you can either drink it warm or fill up a growler and put it in the freezer for a half hour. Its not as good as a keezer but better than bottling.

I just don't know why I never thought of this :confused: (the growler idea)

I'm going to go buy some kegs ASAP after Christmas...finally!

Welp, that's it. Time to get a new wife.

:mug:

Amen to that.

I picked up two brand new in the box GE 7 cubic footers for 100 dollars each. One is already fermenting 10 gallons of Lager and the other is scheduled to become a kegerator after the first of the year. But wow I am pricing my start-up for 4 kegs at about 800 dollars. This little hobby of mine is getting expensive.

I've been married 25 years. It's like invading Normandy. You have to be patient and have a well designed plan of attack. :)

My Goal : 3-tap Keezer in house

Aproach:

Told her I was building a cooler. I told my wife it would rid of all the bottles I had laying around. I kept my description kinda vague. She was OK with that since it involved less clutter.

I told her I was going to keep it in the garage. She was OK with that since it would be in the garage and not in her way.

I built it quickly. She didn't figure out what I was really building till I already had the taps on. She called me out on it, but I said I'd told her about it before. She disagreed, but I think I was originally vague enough that she wasn't sure. Anyway, it was already built.

It sat in the garage for a year.

I moved it into the basement a few weeks back. I told her it would be temporary because the garage was too cold and the beer would freeze. She reluctanly agreed to this.

Outcome:
Keezer is in the basement - and it's not going anywhere.

It took over a year, but I now have a keezer in the house.:mug:

I've been married 25 years. It's like invading Normandy. You have to be patient and have a well designed plan of attack. :)

Aproach:

Told her I was building a cooler. I told my wife it would rid of all the bottles I had laying around. I kept my description kinda vague. She was OK with that since it involved less clutter.

I told her I was going to keep it in the garage. She was OK with that since it would be in the garage and not in her way.

I built it quickly. She didn't figure out what I was really building till I already had the taps on. She called me out on it, but I said I'd told her about it before. She disagreed, but I think I was originally vague enough that she wasn't sure. Anyway, it was already built.

I moved it into the basement a few weeks back. I told her it would be temporary because the garage was too cold and the beer would freeze. She reluctanly agreed to this.

Outcome:

this is a great story.

I like your approach, I do the same thing. build it before they know what hit em. and then gradually move it in the house.

Aproach:

Outcome:

You just have to know the right way to phrase questions like that (e.g. make it sound like you're somehow saving money). My wife hasn't complained yet about the crap loads of money I've dumped into homebrewing because I phrase everything like it saves me spending money on commercial beer even though that's a total lie.

I had 3 kegs show up at my house and my wife asked "What are those for?" My response, "For the keezer I'm going to build next month?" With her mouth agape I responded "Oh yea, it's going to happen." Sometimes you just got to man up and do it. Momma needs to be happy, but she can't always be happy about everything. Pick and choose your battles, but do you best to keep her happy the majority of the time. :)

Since we are talking about good wives, mine is great...We've been together for 19 years. She supports me on whatever stupid thing I want to do. From collecting very expensive guitars to making beer. I couldn't imagine her saying no to something I really wanted to do. I mean within reason. But WTF!! All you want is a Keezer. Jeez, not a big deal. I guess I'm pretty lucky to have a wife like mine...I have two chest freezers..One for fermenting and one for lagering...My wife understands men, That's what so great about her... HA, Man, I'm buzzed..

Back